Parachute Buckle

Article about: This Parachute Buckle is before my time (1970's) anyone know if it's WW2 issue.

Default Parachute Buckle

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060334.jpg 
Views:	417 
Size:	349.0 KB 
ID:	631140

This Parachute Buckle is before my time (1970's) anyone know if it's WW2 issue.

I believe it is WW2, as all the four strap securing buckles have released from the "clock" quadrant.
    The next model .. slightly later in WW2, retained one of the buckles (on strap) when the "clock" was turned/released.

Gary J.

Noting that the 1st model in this style had a complete circular dial when first issued.
    The flat edge was cut into the dial to stop mishandling or misinterpretation of "clock" lock position.

Here's a 1st model (cutaway dial) "clock" that was retrieved from DZ "K" Arnhem.
    Note the clock has not been operated (opened) and thus possibly from a KIA as the parachute was never released from it's body straps.

Gary J.
    (Thanks to GFC).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clock.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	216.3 KB 
ID:	631704  

Looks like that the buckle "dial" has been partially melted by intense heat as well.

Thanks Gary J for the information you provided and especially the image, it does indeed look like the buckle in your photo. Looking at the state of your buckle it looks like it's wearer went down with the aircraft!
    I jumped at Arnhem 1975/8. Thanks again for the reply.

(Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.)

I bought one of these a few years ago (eBay). At the back of mine is a slot to accept a 45mm strap. On earlier wartime X Type harnesses, all four lugs release and the QRF box stays attached to the harness via a strap that's sewn to the harness:

Parachute X-type, Mark II, white harness, 1943 Airborne troops Original BRITISH MILITARIA at Paratrooper
    (Click the main pic to see it larger. You'll see that the strap attaches to the left side of the harness.)

When I tried to orientate it, I found that the text is 90 degrees out if I angle the (locked) box to where that strap would attach.

I've not been able to open it so I don't know if that can be corrected (for X Type). It might have been reassembled wrong - or perhaps it's for a RAF parachute. Some motorsport enthusiasts seem to like them for safety belts so I'm wondering if it's been modded for that.

I initially thought these second versions with the straight edge were WWII but I'm unsure, now. They were certainly used decades later. Any pointers would be most welcome.