Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Prototype Airborne Armoured Recce cap badge

Article about: Hi Guys, this is a badge which was designed but never made production, having been rejected by the Army. The 6th Airborne Armoured Recconaisance Regt of 6th Airborne Division wore a mixture

Default Prototype Airborne Armoured Recce cap badge

Hi Guys, this is a badge which was designed but never made production, having been rejected by the Army.

The 6th Airborne Armoured Recconaisance Regt of 6th Airborne Division wore a mixture of cap badges. Most men wore the standard Recce Corps badge, while others wore their old previous armoured corps or cavalry cap badges.

One trooper designed this badge in the hope it would be adopted as the standard pattern just for this Regt. Sadly it was rejected. I think the design is great, combining the RAC and Para cap badges.

My friend met the Veteran who still had his prototype badge and made a casting from it which I have photographed here.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Prototype Airborne Armoured Recce cap badge  

?

Default Re: Prototype Airborne Armoured Recce cap badge

Wonder which Bureauacrat rejected it Ade , it would have been excellent for that unit.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

I don't know Paul? It might have not even got past the Divisonal CO.

I know that these kind of decisions were sometimes made at the very highest level though, with His Majesty the King often having the final say so.

Cheers, Ade.

?

That badge looks so good its a pity it never made it to production.

?

Its a very interesting design, and to be honest I'm surprised that it was never adopted its certainly looks that business.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

?

I have a picture on disk of a similar badge taken somewhere in France, possibly Benouville museum. Unfortunately the disk is corrupted but I'll ask around if anyone has a backup.

?

And here it is, Benouville Pegasus bridge museum. The cap badge was worn by Sgt Jeremy H. Barkway, 6th airborne armoured reconnaissance regiment.
    From the looks of it it is a custom made item using a RAC and para cap badge cut in half and mounted on a piece of perspex.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Prototype Airborne Armoured Recce cap badge  

Hi Luc, thanks for finding that pic, excellent!

I will have to ask my friend the name of the Vet he met.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Guys, this is a badge which was designed but never made production, having been rejected by the Army.

The 6th Airborne Armoured Recconaisance Regt of 6th Airborne Division wore a mixture of cap badges. Most men wore the standard Recce Corps badge, while others wore their old previous armoured corps or cavalry cap badges.

One trooper designed this badge in the hope it would be adopted as the standard pattern just for this Regt. Sadly it was rejected. I think the design is great, combining the RAC and Para cap badges.

My friend met the Veteran who still had his prototype badge and made a casting from it which I have photographed here.

Cheers, Ade.
    Adrian
    I came upon this site be accident, and was amazed to see the cap badge.
    the reasons being I served with the Parachute Squadron Royal Armoured Corps and I run the northern reunion for said unit,
    some years ago I designed a blazer badge for the OBA as well as lapel badges our badge was a JLR RAC collar badge we wore in our berets it is the same badge as you have posted apart from the crown as it is not a listed cap badgePrototype Airborne Armoured Recce cap badgePrototype Airborne Armoured Recce cap badge
    I have attached the blazer badge, lapel badge and car sticker
    regards
    Parataff

Hi Parataff, welcome to the forum and thanks for pics!

Interesting!

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!