Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Ramc at Arnhem - trailer markings

Article about: I am putting the finishing touches to a restoration of my AB trailer and have marked it with the white 117 on black square to denote the 181 A/L Field Ambulance. Not least because this unit

Default Ramc at Arnhem - trailer markings

I am putting the finishing touches to a restoration of my AB trailer and have marked it with the white 117 on black square to denote the 181 A/L Field Ambulance. Not least because this unit also came here to Oslo after VE day and set up a hospital to treat ex POWs and slave labourers.
    What I am wondering is whether RAMC trailers had any form of Red Cross markings to signify their use and maybe also to spare these and their contents from direct attack and destruction.
    So far I have not been able to find any photos or direct references even though reading several books on Arnhem and trawling the web for photos.

Or maybe even, the 101 A/L Fld Amb might not have had their own trailers only jeeps ?

Also, it seems to me from other photos that the AB trailers generally at Arnhem did not show the white allied star ?

Any advice gratefully received.

DavidH
    Oslo

Hi David, I have never seen a Red Cross marked trailer.

The Allied Star was certainly used at Arnhem, both on the trailer sides and on the canvas cover.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!