Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sand coloured Dennison smock

Article about: Thank you for the above info. No I did not ask the fellow what regiment he belonged to, it"s not the sort of question to ask of someone you have just met. As I have said, he mentioned D

Default Sand coloured Dennison smock

Pictured below is my sand coloured dennison smock, it has never been painted with any cammo patterns and is a plain sand colour. It has newey studs and a "monkey" tail.The only clue I have to its use is the fact that whilst wearing it in Normandy a fellow came up to me and asked when I had served in the Regiment, I replied that I never did but what could he tell me about this strange smock. The reply was that "we" were issued them in Dofar. Can anyone on here shed any more light on the subject. The label inside is washed out. John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sand coloured Dennison smock   Sand coloured Dennison smock  

Default Re: Sand coloured Dennison smock

Hi John, it is an interesting smock. It appears to be based on the 1946 pattern and this would tie in nicely with the Vet's mention of them being issued with them in Dofar. Any trace of a WD inspection stamp?

There is still a lot to be learnt and written about the Denison in all it's forms.

I keep toying with writting a book on them.... This would be well worth including.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Believe it or not, I've seen a dennison completely constructed of lightweight black leather !
    It was quarter zipped, monkey tailed ... and matched a 2nd pattern panel for panel.
    (Unfortunately there was no label what-so-ever, so whether it was of a private construction mimicing the fabric version, .. or a proper military issue of some type, .. I do not know !)

Gary J.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I keep toying with writting a book on them.... This would be well worth including
    Cheers, Ade.
    Ade there are only 24 hours in a day, where do you find the time?

I don't sleep much!

?

I put it down to the secret Government cloning research centre in darkest Derbyshire !

?

Quote by Blackpowder44 View Post
    Pictured below is my sand coloured dennison smock, it has never been painted with any cammo patterns and is a plain sand colour. It has newey studs and a "monkey" tail.The only clue I have to its use is the fact that whilst wearing it in Normandy a fellow came up to me and asked when I had served in the Regiment, I replied that I never did but what could he tell me about this strange smock. The reply was that "we" were issued them in Dofar. Can anyone on here shed any more light on the subject. The label inside is washed out. John
    Hi never seen one that colour before but what i do know being ex Airborne is if you walk about with a Dennison smock on then you will be asked by ex paras what regiment you belonged to. the fact being that the Dennison smock and denim lightweight trousers where only issued after you had earned the right to wear the red beret We loved the Dennison smock as much as our red beret but the powers to be withdrew them in 1980 as they said we where to easily identified in the field by the enemy.
    P.S. As well as wearing the 59 pattern in the 70s we where also running about with the half zip war issue the stores where stacked with them if only i had known then what i know now.

?

No doubt the same as the helmets !
    I've heard stories of thousands of WW2 dated lids being cleared out after the 1970's "upgrades" !

Gary J.

Quote by expara View Post
    P.S. As well as wearing the 59 pattern in the 70s we where also running about with the half zip war issue the stores where stacked with them if only i had known then what i know now.

?

Quote by Gary J View Post
    No doubt the same as the helmets !
    I've heard stories of thousands of WW2 dated lids being cleared out after the 1970's "upgrades" !

Gary J.
    Your 100% right Gary if only i had known.
    I kept mine but had it in the boot of my car next to a old car battery sadly to so that the acid leaked from the battery into my helmet and rotted half the leather sadly again i threw the helmet out

skot44panzer
    ?

in the early days of the war in rhodesia, the rhodesian SAS wore sand and khaki denison smocks like this years before they had their own camo. did the guy you spoke to mention which regiment (british or rhodesian) he was from? there were a lot of british SAS members who founded the rhodesian SAS regiment. there is photographic evidence of these smocks being worn aswell as camo denisons and also the ww2 windproof camo suits.
    i collect rhodesian uniforms and would be interested in the smock if you ever consider selling!
    cheers
    skot

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast