MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

SOE pencil dagger, silk escape maps and escape compasses

Article about: Another USAAF map (apoligies for the blurry photo) and a very unusual map!! I recently purchased the 'Sheet E' map, the seller stating that he got it from an elderly neighbour who use to wor

Default Re: SOE pencil dagger, silk escape maps and escape compasses

What not to do with an escape map (at least in my eyes!).
    Map C/D of the 43 series turned into a place mat and what my wife informs me are a pair of egg cosies! Probably made at the end of the war or early post war years.

Interesting items with a certain charm.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

A USAAF map of the Philippine series marked C-43 (Mindanao Island) and C-44 (North Borneo)

A post war 'common' type escape compass. It differs from the wartime escape compass by having a glossier black exterior, brighter brass interior and the compass 'card' is matt black and has only two dots (to indicate North) and no third dot (to indicate South). The overall finish is also a lot better. It is shown with five other wartime 'common' type compasses.

Half of a RAAF button compass set (it is missing the pivot button). It is shown alongside the (black painted) RAF version. There is a grey metal version of this button compass which was issued to the army.

Another compass! It is shown with some of my other 'commercial' compasses (with an 'issued' MI9 button compass, bottom right, for comparison).
    All of these compasses are period or pre-war, they are of a type that may have been issued early in the war prior to the introduction of the types made by MI9 or compasses that were available to purchase privately and carried for escape and evasion purposes.

POINTIE TALKIE Number 5 booklet. The title says it all really! This covers the South East Asia Theatre of war and differs from the 'Point it out' booklet from the European theatre in that there are no pictures other than a series a colour images at the the end of the booklet.

A small silk Union flag. I believe these were issued late in the war alongside the blood chit to be waved frantically at a local in the vain hope that they may assist you!

He does have his own thread, and I have shown the leg capsule previously in this thread, however, as he does loosely fit into the escape and evasion theme I've shown him again here!
    Carrier pigeon 'Flight Officer Speckled Jim' in his vest and with leg capsule attached.

Another American carrier pigeon leg capsule, however, given the condition of this one it may have been used. It has the remains of red paint on the bottom part of the capsule and contained within is an unused message!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast