Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Uniform Grouping: US 82nd Airborne

Article about: At this year's SOS, I found a wonderful grouping that had belonged to Dale E. Gillespie, 307th Medical Company, 82nd Airborne Division. Corporal Gillespie enlisted on 26 March, 1942, eleven

Default re: Uniform Grouping: US 82nd Airborne

Quote by 101combatvet View Post
    This is an interesting grouping..... I have been collecting for years and have never heard reference to jump training in North Africa. Is the certificate and original or copy?
    The owner retained all of his medals and original documents. The only original document that came with the grouping is a typewritten list of the members of 307th and their home addresses. Nearly 10% were from Chicago, my home town. By their addresses, I know all of them moved by the mid 1960's. more to come next week after the holiday weekend. Corporal Gillespie is alive and well as of a few months ago. I intend to contact him within the next few days.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

101combatvet
    ?

I will send you a PM.

Corporal Gillespie's well worn M-42 jump jacket. This item was worn on all four of his combat jumps. The collar is actually worn though about 80%. Corporal Gillespie has used his medical tape to keep the collar attached to the jacket.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Uniform Grouping: US 82nd Airborne   Uniform Grouping: US 82nd Airborne  

Uniform Grouping: US 82nd Airborne   Uniform Grouping: US 82nd Airborne  

BOB

The M-42 jump pants worn by Corporal Gillespie on D-Day and Operation Market Garden . Gillespie wore out his first set of jump pants in Italy. Note the heavily blood stained pants. It is a solemn reminder of the job entrusted on Corporal Gillespie.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Uniform Grouping: US 82nd Airborne   Uniform Grouping: US 82nd Airborne  

BOB

The jump boots worn throughout the war by Corporal Gillespie in the field on all four jumps and his campaigns in the Ardennes and Central Europe. Note that the boots have been resoled, something that is a lost art to those of us who today live in a disposable world.

BOB

The M-43 jacket worn by Corporal Gillespie during the Ardennes Campaign and the drive in to Central Europe. Note the collar shows the same wear as exhibited on the M-42 jump jacket.

BOB

Following the Normandy Campaign, Corporal Gillespie underwent training with gliders. This is his Glider Certification Certificate dated 31 July, 1944
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Uniform Grouping: US 82nd Airborne  
    BOB

101combatvet
    ?

Very nice grouping....I have never seen a Meritorious Service patch on a Airborne Ike jacket.

?

Glider training ..
    Thats very interesting .... I presume that the glider training must have been done in England. ? (Between "OverLord" and "Market-Garden".)

Would be interesting to know exactly where this was done ... ? .. Possibly Spanhoe or Saltby airfields maybe ?? seeing that the 82nd were based in these areas towards Leicester..

Gary J.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Following the Normandy Campaign, Corporal Gillespie underwent training with gliders. This is his Glider Certification Certificate dated 31 July, 1944

101combatvet
    ?

Not sure where this guy took his.... but many took their training just prior to the invasion..... right on the runway were they took off from.

Quote by Polski44 View Post
    Glider training ..
    Thats very interesting .... I presume that the glider training must have been done in England. ? (Between "OverLord" and "Market-Garden".)

Would be interesting to know exactly where this was done ... ? .. Possibly Spanhoe or Saltby airfields maybe ?? seeing that the 82nd were based in these areas towards Leicester..

Gary J.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast