Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Uniform Grouping: US 82nd Airborne

Article about: At this year's SOS, I found a wonderful grouping that had belonged to Dale E. Gillespie, 307th Medical Company, 82nd Airborne Division. Corporal Gillespie enlisted on 26 March, 1942, eleven

Default Uniform Grouping: US 82nd Airborne

At this year's SOS, I found a wonderful grouping that had belonged to Dale E. Gillespie, 307th Medical Company, 82nd Airborne Division. Corporal Gillespie enlisted on 26 March, 1942, eleven days after his 18th birthday. Volunteering as a medical paratrooper, Corporal Gillespie received training in gliders before being deployed to North Africa in 1943. He took and completed his jump training in North Africa in time to be involved in the invasion of Sicily. Awards included the Bronze Star, European Theater Medal with six battle stars and one arrowpoint, the National Defense Medal, the Good Conduct Medal and The World War 2 Victory Medal.
    The grouping includes Corporal Gillespie's jump jacket, which he wore on all four 82nd jumps-Sicily, Naples-FFoggia, Normandy and Holland, his jump pants worn on D-Day and Market Garden, his M-43 field jacket worn in the Ardennes and Central Europe campaigns, his Ike jacket with wings and ribbons, trousers, overseas cap, dress shirt and wool field shirt. The grouping also includes his jump boots worn on all four combat jumps, his dress jump boots, his jump knife, his M-1 carbine bayonet, his medic's armband, copies of his military records and a couple of cards sent home and several pictures of him in uniform. Due to the size of this grouping, I will post parts of it over the upcoming week.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Uniform Grouping: US 82nd Airborne   Uniform Grouping: US 82nd Airborne  

Uniform Grouping: US 82nd Airborne   Uniform Grouping: US 82nd Airborne  

Uniform Grouping: US 82nd Airborne   Uniform Grouping: US 82nd Airborne  

BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Default re: Uniform Grouping: US 82nd Airborne

!!!!Wow!!!!
    That is an outstanding grouping friend. Thanks for showing.

Bob. outstanding! A very nice grouping!

rgds, Ty

?

great piece of history , and the provenance makes the grouping special , lovely to see , thanks

al

?

Excellent grouping !!

Gary J.

Several images of Corporal Gillespie. The first is a studio protrait taken in Palermo in August, 1943. The second picture was taken in Italy later in 1943. The last studio portrait was taken in England om May, 1944, shortly before his departure for Normandy. Unfortunately, the picture from Italy has degraded and the detail is not the best. However, I thought it would be of interest as he is wearing his helmet.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Uniform Grouping: US 82nd Airborne   Uniform Grouping: US 82nd Airborne  

Uniform Grouping: US 82nd Airborne  
    BOB

?

really great collection mate cant wait to see more

Quote by PHILBROWN View Post
    great shots of him, do you actually own anything that he"s wearing in the pics? that would be cool
    Phil-
    More still to come. I have the jump jacket he is wearing in the first two pictures and the jump pants he is wearing in the second picture. He evidently wore out the first pair in Sicily;.
    BOB

This is an outstanding grouping! Thanks for sharing it with us Bob. I too love to see items that can be seen in collections and in period photos as well.

Cheers, Ade.

101combatvet
    ?

This is an interesting grouping..... I have been collecting for years and have never heard reference to jump training in North Africa. Is the certificate and original or copy?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast