Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Union Jack armband, is it ww2 airborne?

Article about: Hi, Annoyed from this ads?   Picked this up for £2 because i think it is a ww2 british invasion armband. I know British ones are rarer and usually on khaki cloth, but bear with me! I li

ILH
    ?

Default Union Jack armband, is it ww2 airborne?

Hi,
    Picked this up for £2 because i think it is a ww2 british invasion armband. I know British ones are rarer and usually on khaki cloth, but bear with me!
    I live in West Berkshire, where the US 101st Airborne were billeted. I have seen American versions on exactly the same, distinctively woven, white ribbon (wish i had a photo for comparison) and I have been led to believe that they were made locally.

So I'm geussing this was issued to one of the British Glider Pilots who flew them from the local US 9TH AirForce Troop Carrier bases, but cannot prove it.

Would anyone be able to confirm this, or blow the theory out of the water?

Thanks,
    JIM.
    matchbook is just for scale and fun.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Union Jack armband, is it ww2 airborne?   Union Jack armband, is it ww2 airborne?  

Not seen this version before, but I have no reason not to believe it is OK if you have seen similar local made US versions.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hi Jim

I have not seen an American Invasion flag on ribbon fabric , not saying it doesn't exist , they could of procured from local sources. The US tended to have printed on a white heavy canvas/rubberised type material using safety pins to adjust the fit into grommet size holes and or printed on cloth arm bands and sewn to the jacket. They were also turned around and used for other uses ie Free French Forces armbands.
    As for your Union jack , I cannot see why it couldn't of been used during the war,North Africa onwards when there were joint Anglo American operations being carried out. As you know they were not only for Allied personnel recognition but also for local forces and civilians to identify friendly forces.

If British Glider pilots were embedded with IXth Army Airforce Troop Carrier Command it makes sense to follow the US examples wearing wide white armband with Union Jack.

Will try to find examples in use.

Phill

?

A similar example is shown here.