Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

US Jump Wing finger ring for opinions

Article about: I think I recall seeing a thread concerning these but I can't find it. If there is perhaps this could be moved there if need be. I have had this for a while and it came from the US with a fe

Default US Jump Wing finger ring for opinions

I think I recall seeing a thread concerning these but I can't find it. If there is perhaps this could be moved there if need be.

I have had this for a while and it came from the US with a few pieces of WWII 101st Abn Div insignia, a copy of a service record, a dogtag and a couple of "ruptured duck" badges.

It looks to me as if it is made from an actual jump wing being rolled and having a band attached rather than made from scratch as a finger ring.

It has no maker or other stamps / marks but I have handled enough sterling silver over the years to be pretty sure (without testing) that this is such. However, I have no real knowledge of these rings beyond their existance as a fashion so I would welcome any info/comments/opinions.

Regards

Mark

US Jump Wing finger ring for opinionsUS Jump Wing finger ring for opinionsUS Jump Wing finger ring for opinionsUS Jump Wing finger ring for opinionsUS Jump Wing finger ring for opinionsUS Jump Wing finger ring for opinionsUS Jump Wing finger ring for opinions
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Bump!

I really would appreciate the opinions of the US airborne collectors I know we have here.

67 views so I know it has not gone un-noticed. I am fairly confident but would like to hear specifics.

Am I correct that this was made from an actual jump wing?

How common was it to produce these?

Were they more usually made from scratch?

What is the consensus on period? Of course a WWII vet may have served in Korea or later before retiring and feeling the need for this kind of souvenir or maybe it was part of the culture of serving airborne?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Hi Mark

I believe this would be a "sweethearts" ring or for the trooper himself. You will find these odd re configured wings also with adornments that have been added to wings. So they are from official jump wings, reconfigured,not very common and tend to be WWII 42-48 period however this would not stop a GI from any other period having wings made.

I guess you can compare this type of metal insignia to theatre made patches.

Phill

Thanks Phil, yes I had the idea that it would be for a man as any "lady" with hands of adequate proportions to carry it off would a fairly robust individual to say the least.

I had it figured for WWII or just after and was always confident that it was made from an actual jump wing but just wanted to know if this was a recognised fashion or affectation from a particular period.

It never struck me as a commercial piece as although the addition of band is well effected and the inside nicely polished, it is not perfect or what you might call "retail quality".

It did come with some WWII badges etc and it is a nice item to sit in the background of a collection of associated pieces. I just wondered if there might be anything to learn about this type of thing.

Thanks for the reply.

Regards

Mark

?

Mark great ring I can't tell from the photos but is the ring sterling or brass with a silver plate . Gary

Quote by RH1941 View Post
    Mark great ring I can't tell from the photos but is the ring sterling or brass with a silver plate . Gary
    Hi Gary,

Definately not plated brass. It isn't marked but I am as sure as I can be from years of handling such metals that it displays every characteristic of silver such as tarnish, texture, weight and luminosity.

Also it is impossible to distinguish from an actual sterling jump wing of the flat back type (slight contours could have been polished out).

I don't doubt the authenticity if that is the right word. I am just looking for context.

Regards

Mark

?

Definitely looks ww2 or occupation period to me, really neat piece can't say I've seen one like it before

Hi Mark

Jump wings were made by many many different makers, to me what you have is a personal memento , normally they would have some inscription , date name etc..

These could also have been made to resell from the likes of collector clubs Patch King NY, Roy Paris of Texas.

It is a good example to have on display adds that personal touch.

Phill