Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Why does this Airborne uniform seem to be missing something?

Article about: by Gary J The only Can-Loan Captain I can find who served with the 7th Batt. KOSB was ... Capt. J.F. McCourt - 2nd in Command of "A" company at Arnhem. 7th Battalion The King's Own

Default Re: Why does this Airborne uniform seem to be missing something?

Quote by Gary J View Post
    The only Can-Loan Captain I can find who served with the 7th Batt. KOSB was ...

Capt. J.F. McCourt - 2nd in Command of "A" company at Arnhem.

7th Battalion The King's Own Scottish Borderers [British] 1939-1945

Regards

Gary J.
    He entered in very young, too young I believe (spoofed some docs) because he wanted to serve. So, I know that he became an engineer and worked his way up while in the Army and did taught combat training after leaving overseas. I do believe he is listed on the canloan roster as Lt. assuming rank when entering?

Why does this Airborne uniform seem to be missing something?Why does this Airborne uniform seem to be missing something?

Here are some pictures of the inside label. I hope clear enough..the light background creates a lot of reflection, I found it difficult to get a clear shot!

?

The photos are just great DoW.
    They are nice and clear and show everything that "we" would expect to see on a BD blouse manufacturers label.

Manufactured by......Miller & Gabbe in 1952
    "Standard" army sizeing mark, in this case size 11 to fit a soldier of 5ft 9in > 5ft 10in tall with a chest(breast) measurement of 38>39in

This label also, to a large extent, confirms that the captain also stayed in and saw post-war service. (The manufactured date of 1952)

Great BD blouse, I love it. Nice one DoW.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy
    Last edited by jimpy; 11-17-2010 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Spelling/Grammar

Thank-you. Does the 1952 mean that he did not use this uniform during the war? That it was issued post war? I know there used to be a trench coat, kilt and cap but they were dispersed without the uniform to others.

?

Quote by Daughterofwar View Post
    Thank-you. Does the 1952 mean that he did not use this uniform during the war? That it was issued post war? I know there used to be a trench coat, kilt and cap but they were dispersed without the uniform to others.
    You got it in one DoW.
    This is one of his post-war BD blouses.
    In the first set of photos that you posted, did I see a set of matching trousers on a hanger? If I did, have a look and see if they are also stamped/labelled up, chances are they were purchased/issued at the same time.

Regards etc

Ian D

I checked the pants, they are stamped 1951. This is great information to have. I was considering what to do with the uniform, as having it in a closet for years and eventually having my children put it in a dumpster because they don't understand it's signifigance, doesn't seem fitting. I wanted to figure out at which point in his service this uniform was used, what it meant etc.. and some details as the thought crossed to donate it to either the KOSB museum or the the Canadian War Time museum.

?

DoW
    If you are seriously considering parting with it, I would check with the Canadian War Time Museum first, mainly because it is where you are, however be warned that a lot of stuff that gets donated to museums never gets seen and is put in storage for, in some cases, years! (The email/website address for the KOSB museum is Home - The King’s Own Scottish Borderers The regiment is now part of the Royal Regiment of Scotland so it may be worth dropping them a line, they MAY be able to help you out with further enquiries about the captain or at least maybe point you in some other directions)
    Am I right in assuming that this uniform has got family connections to you?
    I noticed that there is a sizeable medal ribbon bar on the blouse, do you still have the medals?
    My own personal preference would be to, subject to space requirements/cost, put the uniform on a mannequin and on display.
    Any medals, paperwork etc, I would be tempted to frame and also put on display.
    You should be able to find out his service record and that should give you his length of service, postings, medals entitlement etc. (Unfortunately, I donot know the contact details and how to go about it in Canada, hopefully one of our other Canadian members will be able to help out on that one)

Regards etc
    Ian D

PS: It may also be worth contacting the airborne forces museum in IWM Duxford, England as KOSB came under the airborne forces "umbrella", (as you are aware) www.airborneassault.org.uk
    Last edited by jimpy; 11-17-2010 at 03:03 AM. Reason: Addition

Great info, you guys are full of it. Thanks again. Yes, the uniform belonged to my father. You get bits and pieces of info, some of which I had written down, as he didn't like to talk a lot about it. He talked about Arnhem a couple times, another couple stories to my mother etc. Had I been thinking or been more aware at the time, I would have asked a lot more questions. I hadn't thought about the museum and storage.

Yes, there were medals. However, they were destroyed in a house fire. My mother is currently looking for an adresss that someone had given her where you can write in Ottawa and get replacements.

?

Brilliant, glad to have been of help.

BTW, Ive just done a quick google search, and I suspect that this is what your mum is looking for:

Veterans Affairs Canada
    Honours & Awards Section
    66 Slater Street
    Ottawa, Ontario K1 0PA

web-site...... Veterans Affairs Canada - Anciens Combattants Canada
    Last edited by jimpy; 11-17-2010 at 04:16 AM.

?

Jimpy,
    Also some great follow up info ..

Cheers

Gary J.

Quote by jimpy View Post
    Brilliant, glad to have been of help.

BTW, Ive just done a quick google search, and I suspect that this is what your mum is looking for:

Veterans Affairs Canada
    Honours & Awards Section
    66 Slater Street
    Ottawa, Ontario K1 0PA

web-site...... Veterans Affairs Canada - Anciens Combattants Canada
    Last edited by Gary J; 11-18-2010 at 02:41 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast