Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Why does this Airborne uniform seem to be missing something?

Article about: by Gary J The only Can-Loan Captain I can find who served with the 7th Batt. KOSB was ... Capt. J.F. McCourt - 2nd in Command of "A" company at Arnhem. 7th Battalion The King's Own

Default Why does this Airborne uniform seem to be missing something?

Firstly, please excuse the fact that you have to tilt your head to look at these pics, my camera batteries died and I had to rely on my iPod to take pics which for some unknown reason upload like this.

This jacket bleonged to a soldier in the KOSB 1st Airborne 7th Btn. In looking at other uniforms, this ones seems barren. Is there a reason for this? As I do not know much about such things.

The red bars read Royal Canadian Engineers. Other than that, their only appears to be the airborne logo on the chest and the plane on the sleeve. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Why does this Airborne uniform seem to be missing something?   Why does this Airborne uniform seem to be missing something?  

Why does this Airborne uniform seem to be missing something?   Why does this Airborne uniform seem to be missing something?  

Why does this Airborne uniform seem to be missing something?  

?

Default Re: Why does this Airborne uniform seem to be missing something?

Hi DoW

First off, welcome to the forums.
    Now onto the jacket.
    All the markers point, and show it as being for a Captain of Engineers. The shoulder flash, the dark blue backing to the rank pips and the purple/red lanyard
    There are a couple of anomalies that I would pick up on, the first one being, the reference to 7th KOSB and the blouse being badged for RCE.
    I dont know if you are aware, but 7th KOSB was a British unit, (7th Battalion Kings Own Scottish Borderers), so therefore he would NOT be wearing the RCE shoulder flash, (assuming that he, from 7KOSB, had not "aquired" it)
    The patch on the lower right forearm is for GLIDERBORNE troops, ie: AIRLANDING as opposed to paratroops.
    What I think that you think you are missing is the jump wings/DZ patch/Airborne patches that would normally be worn on the upper right shoulder of the BD blouse of JUMP qualified airborne troops, HOWEVER, they are worn above the medal ribbons on the left. (I donot know if this is correct for the Canadian army, I assume that it is because everything else seems ok with it!)

Hope that this is of some help. Im sure that some of the other guys and girls will also chip in with more info.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

PS: Inside the jacket, usually on the right side, there should be a makers label. If you could take a couple of clear photos of it and post them up for us, we could, possibly, give you some more information.
    Last edited by jimpy; 11-16-2010 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Addition/grammar

Thank you for your input so far and hello! The officer was a Canadian officer in the CANLOAN program. Canadian volunteer to the British Army. He did serve as a Capt in the Ist Airborne 1st Airlanding Brigade 7th Battalion of the KOSB....maybe there was another uniform?

?

Can-Loan officers were with the KOSB's .. (Whoops ! we crossed posts !!)

Gary J.

?

Quote by Daughterofwar View Post
    Thank you for your input so far and hello! The officer was a Canadian officer in the CANLOAN program. Canadian volunteer to the British Army. He did serve as a Capt in the Ist Airborne 1st Airlanding Brigade 7th Battalion of the KOSB....maybe there was another uniform?
    That expains a lot as regards the 7KOSB/RCE connection.

Is there a label inside the BD blouse? If there is, can you get a couple of pics of it and post them up? We should/maybe able to give you a bit more info.

Regards etc

Ian D

?

Dont think I missed anything about the blouse, apart from the CanLoan bit, (which I had forgotten about.......doh!) have I Gary?

Regards etc

Ian D

Thanks so far everyone! The jacket is stamped on the inside. I will take pics tomorrow afternoon and place them in this post.

?

Some Blurb on the Can-Loan Scheme.

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-...hq/cmhq145.pdf

Gary J.

?

The only Can-Loan Captain I can find who served with the 7th Batt. KOSB was ...

Capt. J.F. McCourt - 2nd in Command of "A" company at Arnhem.

7th Battalion The King's Own Scottish Borderers [British] 1939-1945

Regards

Gary J.

Quote by Gary J View Post
    Some Blurb on the Can-Loan Scheme.

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-...hq/cmhq145.pdf

Gary J.
    That was an interesting read. Thanks for sharing that info.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast