Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

ww2 US 101st Airborne badge

Article about: Picked up this at the fea market today looks ww2 from what I can find online,what do you guys think? Thank you for any input

Default ww2 US 101st Airborne badge

Picked up this at the fea market today looks ww2 from what I can find online,what do you guys think? Thank you for any input
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ww2 US 101st Airborne badge   ww2 US 101st Airborne badge  

Hi there

Poorly made modern day fake made in eastern Europe.

Too many red flags.

One major point is an OD border 101st were issued to 101st Infantry Division (AUS) 1940/41 period before it became airborne.

Phill

Quote by Phill Lockett View Post
    Hi there

Poorly made modern day fake made in eastern Europe.

Too many red flags.

One major point is an OD border 101st were issued to 101st Infantry Division (AUS) 1940/41 period before it became airborne.

Phill
    Yep, unfortunately I agree.

I am no expert but I wanted to add a couple of these to my US area of my collection (small but I feel important for overall "roundness" of my collection) so I did quite a bit of study.

As Phil says the OD border is a huge "flare" of a red flag. When compared to originals this one isn't close I believe.

A worrying feature is that it seems to have a "cut edge" rather than the modern "merrowed edge" which means almost certainly that the aim is to deceive.

Here is one of mine for comparison which came from a trusted source in the US. These are not easy to judge and there are very many repro / fake items about.

Sorry the pics are not the best but I just took them and light is fading at the moment.

I hope this helps.

Mark

ww2 US 101st Airborne badgeww2 US 101st Airborne badgeww2 US 101st Airborne badge[ATTACH=CONFIG]1072749[/ATTACH
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ww2 US 101st Airborne badge  
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

These are copied/reproduced in so many varieties. I buy these from
    all eras, as long as they are priced right.

The only one I have that comes close to being WWII:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ww2 US 101st Airborne badge   ww2 US 101st Airborne badge  

Regards,

Steve.

Thanks guys find it interesting as came in a old sweet box with other original ww2 German and British badges from a House clearance guy , I will take photos of the other items that came with it .US badges aren't my field of interest and that the reason I put on here to find out , Thanks again for your input

Hi Mark

I believe your one is a 1950's scribble eye that was used very very late WWII right up to the merrowed edge 60's. Note the edge has a greyish look which is normal for 1950's patches.

Below are several 1950's birds , these have been misidentified as WWII era. They are legit post WWII era SSI. I also collect 1950's-60's eagles because they are cheaper and the show a range of style's that get confused with WWII era SSI.

Steve has a nice attached tab amoeba eye on khaki twill WWII era.

Once you get use to handling WWII era birds you can spot WWII/Post WWII birds.

This is one of the best sites on WWII 101st SSI.

Eagle Patch Corner

Attachment 1072936Attachment 1072937Attachment 1072938Attachment 1072939

Phill

Thank you Phil that would make sense as the rest of the badges that came with this eagle are ww2 and 1946/47 timeline

Hi Mark

Can you post the other badges. The reason why there is occupation period and then post occupation period and going into Korean war period and this is known as the golden age of US collecting as the proliferation of unauthorized insignia and patches exist , which includes theatre made US SSI by European and Japanese manufacturers for both regions during this period.

Officially all official tabs were rescinded from Oct 1946-1949. Hence you will see new Airborne personnel with the patch only during this time period , of course tell that to a season combat airborne trooper!!

Phill

Hi Phil these are the other badges that were in the same box as the 101 badge
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ww2 US 101st Airborne badge  

Hi Kradman

Don't know anything on German insignia apart from the fact that they used the same manufacturing embroidery machines as the US known as schiflli embroidery but the British patches are as you say WWII era.

Phill