Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWII Indian Airborne Wing

Article about: Picked this up today along with an Indian made 1943 dated bugle, both came from a house clearance in west wales

Default WWII Indian Airborne Wing

Picked this up today along with an Indian made 1943 dated bugle, both came from a house clearance in west wales.

The wings are textbook Indian made types and are in very good condition.

The bugle is made by the oldest maker of such instruments in Indai, Nadir Ali & Co who have been based in Meerut since 1885. Due to shipping issues in WWII they became a much larger company taking over from imported instruments and are still in business today.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Indian Airborne Wing   WWII Indian Airborne Wing  

WWII Indian Airborne Wing   WWII Indian Airborne Wing  

WWII Indian Airborne Wing  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Nice find Jerry. Imagination suggests the orignal owner was a member of the British Indian Army, an officer do you think?. This really is a case of "if only they could talk"
    Does the bugle have any unit marks at all?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Nice find Jerry. Imagination suggests the orignal owner was a member of the British Indian Army, an officer do you think?. This really is a case of "if only they could talk"
    Does the bugle have any unit marks at all?

Regards

Mark
    Indeed Mark, if only they could tell their story.

No unit marks on the bugle, the mouthpiece is English made with some makers marks etc and there is an odd mark by it on the neck of the bugle which I showed.
    Regards,

Jerry

Thanks Jerry, yes I noted the mark which looks to me like Indian script in some kind of short-hand. Must be like an Indian speaker trying to decipher English abbreviations.

I am not surprised that the mouthpiece is English as (apparently or so I have been advised by miltary musicians) it is the most important part of the instrument and you can't just "knock 'em out" ,the rest is just "a bit of plumbing" (stands by for howls of outrage from buglers!) is the mouthpiece marked as silver?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Thanks Jerry, yes I noted the mark which looks to me like Indian script in some kind of short-hand. Must be like an Indian speaker trying to decipher English abbreviations.

I am not surprised that the mouthpiece is English as (apparently or so I have been advised by miltary musicians) it is the most important part of the instrument and you can't just "knock 'em out" ,the rest is just "a bit of plumbing" (stands by for howls of outrage from buglers!) is the mouthpiece marked as silver?

Regards

Mark
    LOL

no silver mark on the mouthpiece, it is marked B & H 1566 over Made in England followed by DT
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Indian Airborne Wing  
    Regards,

Jerry

Probably nickle then. I only asked because silver is the traditional material for brass instrument mouthpieces but nickle is the cheaper (and more durable) alternative. The military in my experience have displayed neither rhyme nor reason in the choice

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 02-08-2019 at 10:07 PM. Reason: typo