Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

AH-1G Cobra Attack Helicopter

Article about: Accepted by the Army in 1968, this AH-1G Cobra was sent directly to Vietnam and assigned in April 1969 to the 101st Airborne Division (Air Mobile) where it served in B Troop, 2/17th Air Cava

?

Default AH-1G Cobra Attack Helicopter

Accepted by the Army in 1968, this AH-1G Cobra was sent directly to Vietnam and assigned in April 1969 to the 101st Airborne Division (Air Mobile) where it served in B Troop, 2/17th Air Cavalry Squadron until December 1971. The aircraft spent its entire time in Vietnam (4/69-12/71) with B Troop where it accumulated 1680 combat flying hours. In January 1972 Cobra # 67-15737 was returned to the United States and continued serving with the 101st Airborne Division (Air Mobile) at Fort Campbell, KY until December 1975. The aircraft was transferred to the Texas Army National Guard where it served until its retirement from military service.

The aircraft has been fully restored as Cobra # 67-15737 appeared in Vietnam from 1969 to 1970 when it was crewed by Aircraft Commander 1LT Jay White and Crew Chief SGT Steve Liubakki. The AAHF appreciates the assistance received from Jay and Steve in ensuring the authenticity of this unique and rare aircraft.

An extensive and lengthy rebuild and restoration/upgrade of the aircraft was undertaken. As part of the restoration process, the aircraft’s power plant was upgraded to the more powerful T53-L-703 engine (1800 shp) that provides an additional 400 shp than the original Vietnam era engine, and mated with an upgraded B-212 power train system. The aircraft’s rotor system was upgraded to the Kaman ballistic main rotor blades providing a 10,000 hour useful life. The aircraft is a very fast Cobra!

The aircraft has appeared in multiple television events and motion pictures including with actor Clint Eastwood. The aircraft has performed extensively since 2003 on the U.S. air show circuit with the Sky Soldiers Demonstration Team of the Army Aviation Heritage Foundation (AAHF).

This is the last known FLYING AH-1G Cobra attack helicopter with combat service in Vietnam.

This beauty is currently for sale: $995,000.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture AH-1G Cobra Attack Helicopter  

Default Re: AH-1G Cobra Attack Helicopter

I'll take two!!!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by LRDG View Post
    Accepted by the Army in 1968, this AH-1G Cobra was sent directly to Vietnam and assigned in April 1969 to the 101st Airborne Division (Air Mobile) where it served in B Troop, 2/17th Air Cavalry Squadron until December 1971. The aircraft spent its entire time in Vietnam (4/69-12/71) with B Troop where it accumulated 1680 combat flying hours. In January 1972 Cobra # 67-15737 was returned to the United States and continued serving with the 101st Airborne Division (Air Mobile) at Fort Campbell, KY until December 1975. The aircraft was transferred to the Texas Army National Guard where it served until its retirement from military service.

The aircraft has been fully restored as Cobra # 67-15737 appeared in Vietnam from 1969 to 1970 when it was crewed by Aircraft Commander 1LT Jay White and Crew Chief SGT Steve Liubakki. The AAHF appreciates the assistance received from Jay and Steve in ensuring the authenticity of this unique and rare aircraft.

An extensive and lengthy rebuild and restoration/upgrade of the aircraft was undertaken. As part of the restoration process, the aircraft’s power plant was upgraded to the more powerful T53-L-703 engine (1800 shp) that provides an additional 400 shp than the original Vietnam era engine, and mated with an upgraded B-212 power train system. The aircraft’s rotor system was upgraded to the Kaman ballistic main rotor blades providing a 10,000 hour useful life. The aircraft is a very fast Cobra!

The aircraft has appeared in multiple television events and motion pictures including with actor Clint Eastwood. The aircraft has performed extensively since 2003 on the U.S. air show circuit with the Sky Soldiers Demonstration Team of the Army Aviation Heritage Foundation (AAHF).

This is the last known FLYING AH-1G Cobra attack helicopter with combat service in Vietnam.

This beauty is currently for sale: $995,000.
    LRDG,
    Your right its a beauty. Nothing like flying a Cobra especially in combat. This was the standard configuration of two 7 shot 2.75in pods, two 19 shot 2.75in pods, mini-gun and 40mm in the turret. Spent a year right next to this Cav unit with D-101, 101st Abn Div, probably walked by this aircraft a number of times. I personally flew a 20mm ship with one 7 shot pod and one 19 shot pod on the right side with a 20mm mounted on the left side with a mini-gun and 40mm in the turret. We could really kick some butt with those magnificant birds. Thanks for bringing back some very fond memories.

Major (Ret) T.R. Morris (Hawk33) D-101

?

Here are a few more photos Hawk33:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture AH-1G Cobra Attack Helicopter   AH-1G Cobra Attack Helicopter  

AH-1G Cobra Attack Helicopter   AH-1G Cobra Attack Helicopter  

?

An iconic bird thanks for posting the history very interesting
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by LRDG View Post
    LRDG,
    Thanks, really brings it home. Can't believe I used to be able to fit in that aircraft. Could never get in it today unless you used a very large shoe horn.
    Terry

Quote by LRDG View Post
    LRDG,
    Here are a couple of mine. Not as pretty as your show Cobra but still a wonderful aircraft.

The first is one of our "Snakes" getting to go out into the A-Shau during Lam Son 720 (a month or so after Lam Son 719 ended). Standing beside aircraft is W01 Thornton and checking the "Jesus Nut" is W01 Bollinger, two of our better pilots.

Next is my 20mm mounted on the left side of the aircraft. Probably why I can't hear out of my left ear anymore. Made quite a racket when firing.

A look over the left wing pod holding 17lb warhead 2.75" rockets and 20mm. Valley below is the northern end of the A-Shau.

And finally, one of my better landings. Was hit by 37mm and numerous small arms over Laos while supporting CCN Operations.

These are the only pic I could lay my hands on, most of my 101st pictures are on slides and I haven't taken the time to down load them to a computer.

Terry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture AH-1G Cobra Attack Helicopter   AH-1G Cobra Attack Helicopter  

AH-1G Cobra Attack Helicopter   AH-1G Cobra Attack Helicopter  

Major,

You have left me speechless with these photos...I won't bore you with more of my sentiments. You already know how I feel.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

ggtcomp
    ?

Hello,
    I am new to this forum. I am a fan of the AH-1G Cobra . I want to build a sim at some point. I have a good start on my parts collection. I was wondering if you might remember the very early cobras with a part metal pilots seat (back and bottom) with ceramic sides. Also I always wondered why some of the collie hats on the grips were painted yellow. The panel I have is 67-15589, whats realy cool is pencil writing on the panel from the pilot. Thank you for your service to our country. It means alot to me and many others.
    David

David,
    Don't know why the "Coolie hat" was painted yellow. The only ones I remember were black as was the rest of the cyclic grip. The "coolie hat" was used for trim control. The only colors on the grip was the red "trigger" on the front that was used for the radios, one indent for intercom, pressed all the way to transmit outside the aircraft. The three red capped buttons on the grip had various functions depending on what type aircraft you were flying. The top red tipped button on my aircraft was used for firing the rockets in the stowed mode, the middle button was used for the 20mm and the bottom button on the front was a ejection button to blow your pods if so needed. On a slick that was used to release your sling load. As for the seat the panels on the side were used for ballistic protection and the one on the left was fixed and could not be moved forward or backward where the one on the right would slide back and forth the front seat the panels were reversed as per fixed vs movable. The seat was metal with a thin padded back and bottom which provided very little comfort. After a few hours your butt felt like a cement block. The attached pic are of a cyclic grip removed from one of my "damaged" aircraft.
    Terry

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast