Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Amazing pic

Article about: I've no idea what it is or where it is but it's a terrific photo!

Default Amazing pic

I've no idea what it is or where it is but it's a terrific photo!Amazing pic

Hi Dave,

It's off the south coast of Turkey, you can pay to dive it. Here's some of the spiel from the local tourist board:

"There is no dramatic background story of our airplane wreck in Turkey. It served as a transporter for parachutists in the Turkish air force, and was donated to local dive centers after retirement to act as new artificial reef, and as a new dive attraction, of course. The sinking of the airplane at its final resting place happened on July 1st 2009 and was performed so smoothly that the DC3 lays now fully intact on the sandy seabed. It appears like it is just getting ready for its next take off ;-)

There is not much around the wreck, only sand and a little sea grass. This “isolation”, however, boots the visual effect when approaching: when swimming to it, you first see only a dark shadow; the closer you get, it turns more and more into a huge plane.

The engines, wings, cockpit, rudder and landing gear are all intact. A big door at the main hull, where the parachuters used to jump off the plane, provides access to the inside of the “Dakota”. The main cabin is quite empty but if you swim to the direction of the cockpit you can explore the working place of the navigation officer and the cockpit itself. There are lots of details to explore in the cockpit, and you'll get an idea about working places of pilots 78 years ago – almost back to the roots of aviation".

And there was me thinking you'd found the missing Air Malaysia flight off the coast of Oz.....

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

[QUOTE=big ned;
    And there was me thinking you'd found the missing Air Malaysia flight off the coast of Oz.....

Regards, Ned.[/QUOTE]

Ha ha, should have seen that coming! ..........Thanks for the info mate, it must be an amazing sight to see a large plane like that on the seabed, certainly makes for a dramatic photo! Cheers Ned.

I prefer my underwater aircraft wrecks to be a little more...dramatic.

Here's my dive in the Solomon Islands on a HK6 'Mavis', sunk at her mooring by US aircraft on August 7, 1942.

Amazing pic

That's pretty good Glenn!

wreck diveing is a wounderful hobby,now for me sadly in the past.

?

Default Another amazing pic!