Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

B-17 42-30610 "Red Ass"

Article about: Good job Ned! So the "Anoxia Queen" is 42-30610, not the "Red Ass?" Regards, Jerry D

Default Re: B-17 42-30610 "Red Ass"

Good job Ned! So the "Anoxia Queen" is 42-30610, not the "Red Ass?"
    Regards,
    Jerry D

Thank you so much, this is amazing. THis is more then I had and I can start on the display. I know it is had to find photos of the planes but once in a while I get lucky.

Respectfully,
    Greg

Quote by spectre68 View Post
    Good job Ned! So the "Anoxia Queen" is 42-30610, not the "Red Ass?"
    Regards,
    Jerry D
    No Jerry, 'fraid not,

The "Anoxia Queen" was a different ship and crew as to the one 42-30610 that Greg is enquiring about. Strawn was merely pilot on the "Queen" on the mission shown in my last post. Maybe their Skipper was ill or otherwise engaged at that time and Strawn was filling in. Or maybe he was with 2 crews during his tour, it happened regularly.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Ned,
    You are a amazing source for information on this fourm. I really enjoy reading your anwswers.

Thanks

Burt

Thanks Ned!

Quote by b17 rescue View Post
    Thank you for the help, do you know if the reposts will have photos?
    I've picked up one of these, from this site before, doing research on a B-17 crew member. I think the report cost me $14, wasn't much. The report is a copy from the original "Missing Air Crew Report", filed at the time the plane was determined missing. These reports were all microfiched. The report I received was 8 pages and included the cover page, a number of hand sketched maps, a crew list and a page fill of the airplane data, such as engine s/n's etc. I'm sure these reports vary greatly in content, depending on what information was available and how diligent the preparer of the report was.

Good Luck

Russ

Thanks everyone, I subscribe to Fold3 and looked for the MACR, but it did not have one, I will try AAIR maybe Craig can find the report for me. If anyone comes across a photo of the nose art and/or the plane, please let me know.
    Thank you again, Greg

If this is the B-17 that crashed in West Hanningfield near Chelmsford Essex, it was the first plane crash site that I visited as a child. It was about a mile and a half from my parents house. The site was excavated by the Southend Historic Aircraft Society in the late 70's early 80's.
    I used to have the side panel from one of the battery's from this plane, it might still be in my parents loft.
    In the early 80's one of the planes tyres was still sitting at the edge of the field near where it crashed.

as a note to the above, parts of the B17 that crashed in West Hanningfield can be found for sale online.

Shadowwolf,

Can you send me the link to some of the relics for sale. I have a few relics from "Red ASS" and a photo of the old girl. She went down on her 4th mission.

Thank you,
    Greg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast