Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

B-17 42-30610 "Red Ass"

Article about: Good job Ned! So the "Anoxia Queen" is 42-30610, not the "Red Ass?" Regards, Jerry D

Simon,
    I am on Facebook and I would appreciate any help you can provide. I live in Murrieta, California.

Thank you,

Greg

Hi Greg,

PM sent with my FB contact details.

Cheers, Simon.

crimsonflash3
    ?

I think I've at least partially solved my family mystery. The "Eddie" it that photo was my grandmother's uncle, Edward Gauthier. I'm not sure of his exact role in the Army Air Corps. He wasn't on board the plane when it went down - that much I know (he passed away in 1998).

I will post some higher quality scans of those photos the next opportunity I have. I think I owe that much.

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    The guy "Eddie" in the first pic seems to be the same one in the lower image, kneeling second from right.

The aircraft is B 17F 42-30340 "Screamin' Red Ass" of the 562nd BS 388th BG. It was lost on the 8th of March 1944 on a mission to the Erkner Ball Bearing Works in the eastern Berlin area. The primary target was not able to be bombed as planned, so they diverted and bombed a factory complex at Wildau, still in the Berlin area. They had had a heavy week, this being their third mission to Berlin in five days.

The aircraft was presumed engaged by fighters outbound from the target and was seen going down with one engine feathered and both wings damaged. A parachute was also observed ( there was one survivor, the right waist gunner).

Here's all the info culled from the mission report, it includes the names of the crew involved, maybe this will help ascertain if one of them is related or known to you.

TogetherWeServed - 2nd Lt Allan O. Amann

Regards, Ned.
    The lone parachute was my uncles. He died in 1960.

Shadowwolf...this is a pretty old post but I was directed here by Jing Zhou when I reported this crash to him to add to his B17 crash database for maps. My father was Kenneth Lee Hagan, top turret gunner on the Red Ass, it was, or would have been, his 8th mission, and his 5th on the Red Ass. When the engine caught fire he had removed his oxygen mask and parachute and attempted to extinguish the fire, was overcome by lack of oxygen and smoke while the rest of the crew bailed out. Pilot Strawn and co-pilot strapped a chute on him and pushed him out. He woke up falling through the air, had a hard time finding his ripcord but did at last. He landed in Mawkinsherds Farm, Barnston,NR Dunmow, Essex where a tenant farmer at the time A. Busby had been farming. He was attacked by Busby with a pitchfork, whereupon Dad convinced him he was a Yank, whereupon he was taken to the house for hot fresh scrambled eggs and Brandy. He was picked up and taken to Framlingham back to the base. Red Ass, I know, Had just completed 4 missions and Dad was on them, Emden, Hanau, and two tough ones, Marienburg and Schweinfurt. After the crash, Dad returned to The Vulture, 23472...for about 15 missions. He filled in on Rovin Ramona and Rovin Ramona II, Pub Pete/Dinah Might, and Hell's Bells. About 15 or so years ago, Ian McTaggert picked me up in Felixstowe ( I am a merchant seaman and my ship called there regularly)....he was a bit of a crash historian, he took me to the 390th Musuem, and around the area, and helped me gather information. I wish I had known of the local archaeology group who had done some work on the Red Ass crash...I have tried to find them via internet links but they have either dissolved, passed on, or merged into some other entity. I would love to speak to someone who has done some crash site work. It is a rare connection that I know some of the details of a few of the ten men who manned the plane....after all these years! If anyone reads this who has info or interest, you can contact me at seachump@aol.com I can also say that Strawn went on to do a lot of missions on the Vulture, along with a Capt Sabel. All of these guys did a lot of filling in and switching planes, although they did try to keep crews together. With casualty rates and such, they had to go when the had to go....wherever needed. Well I hope to hear from someone out there who has knowledge or interest in the old Red Ass. Kenneth Hagan, here, thanks.

I just posted a lengthy reply further down, I just saw this one. Indeed they did ditch their bomb load , my father was the top turret gunner who had to kick some bombs free, for which he got a medal (whoopee, he said)....and as he was trying to extinguish the engine fire was overcome by lack of oxygen and smoke and was almost the last out. See my story below. I would love to snag a copy of that Essex article.

Feel free to contact me, my father was Kenneth Lee Hagan Top Turret Gunner on the Red Ass that day. I am Kenneth A Hagan, email is seachump@aol.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4