MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

B17g 44-6085

Article about: Hi, can anyone help in finding information on b17g 44-6085? I am looking for photos of the seven survivors nformacji pilots and their fate after the war. In place of downing found radioteleg

Default B17g 44-6085

Hi, can anyone help in finding information on b17g 44-6085? I am looking for photos of the seven survivors nformacji pilots and their fate after the war. In place of downing found radiotelegraph and Fairchild K20 camera. I mean especially the photos of airmen.

Default Re: B17g 44-6085

Here is the missing persons report on the aircraft. You can use this to then search for individual photos

B17g 44-6085

Contact the 95th BG webiste......

95th Bomb Group Horham

And their Facebook page.......

https://www.facebook.com/95thBG

I am sure they will help you.

Steve T

A bit of info on the aircraft and the circumstances of it's loss, you may already have this info, but i'll post it for others interested.

334th Bomber Squadron, 95th Bomber Group (Heavy).
    Based at Station 119 Horham, Suffolk.

Aircraft Data:
    Serialnumber: 44-6085
    Type: B-17G
    Destination: Politz, Germany
    Mission: Bombing
    Missing Air Crew Report (MACR): 8279

25th August 1944.

B-17G 44-6085 Piloted by 2nd Lt. Albert B. Powell Jr. was seen to be hit by Flak over the target at 13:04hrs. The 3 & 4 engines had to be feathered. The pilot attempted to stay in formation, but in the vicinity of Stettin Lake eight chutes were seen to leave the aircraft. All eight grounded. At 53.47N / 12.33E at 13:31hrs the aircraft exploded, and pieces of it fell into the lake.

There were 8 'chutes reported as landed but only 7 survivors. That reason being was that the death shortly after landing due to severe injuries sustained by a non regular member of the crew. He was T/Sgt.Berton Edward Briley aged 30, a native of Sumner County, Kansas, and was an official photographer for the 95th Bomb Group.

Although most bomber aircraft carried a camera for target bombing photo's, it may well be that the Fairchild K20 camera you have found was the one being carried by Briley in the left waist gunner position. Here's a photo of one in slightly better condition, and another (rather poor) shot of 44-6085 during an earlier mission.

Sorry but I can't help with any details or pic's of crew members at the mo.

Regards, Ned.
    Attached Images Attached Images B17g 44-6085  B17g 44-6085 
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

the picture says that bombarded 44-6085 Rechlin, other documents are written by Politz. Over Rechlin was damaged, shot down over there near Politz and fell. I am often in this place. The link full documentation and entry space for the array:
    Nowy folder (2).rar - Speedy Share - upload your files here

COVEL, Orlin E
    BRILEY, Berton E
    WILHELM, Melvin F

I think I found everything except photos can be found here, airmen and hope for a miracle I'm sorry but I do not know English, I write through Google translator

"I am sure they will help you."

there was no willingness to help ... may in time come new facts and photos, thank you

Hello!

My name is Bonnie. I just found the forum.
    The Melvin F. Wilhelm listed here is my paternal Great Uncle.

Thank you for your feedback, if you have a collection of some of his photo? The history of the aircraft and the crew is written again, I hope to be enriched by yet another photograph. Thank you in advance!

I wish I had pictures! Uncle Melvin died before I was born.
    The one picture I recall seeing as a child was in his mother and fathers home and when I started asking questions, they told me who he was, rather angrily, and then told me that "We do not talk about it."

So finding information on what happened and why the anger became my life long passion.

Last thing I discovered is that a delegation was sent to the plane's final resting place in September 2012 to try to get the bodies to bring home. There has been no update as of yet and I have requested from the man that upkeep's his marker, what information he can find out for me. That will take time.

The area in which the remains of the fallen is big - one big swamp. There have been 3 visits the Office of the Secretary of Defense, the last in September 2012. The remains are very hard to find in this area, for more finds himself part of the aircraft. We are hopeful that they will be found.

Nowy folder.rar - Speedy Share - upload your files here

I am hopeful too. Even if they cannot be, they are heroes in my eyes.

What is in the link?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast