Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Battle of Britain film fact I didn't know!

Article about: Just read that some of the Buchón aircraft that played the part of BF109's were painted in RAF colours and played the part of Hurricanes also! How did I miss that piece of trivia? Nick

Default Battle of Britain film fact I didn't know!

Just read that some of the Buchón aircraft that played the part of BF109's were painted in RAF colours and played the part of Hurricanes also!

How did I miss that piece of trivia?

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Battle of Britain film fact I didn't know!   Battle of Britain film fact I didn't know!  

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

strange but true Nick.bottom pic gives them away. back 3 are Buchons

Never noticed either!
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

????And the Insignia from Poland.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Quote by lebus12 View Post
    ????And the Insignia from Poland.
    302 and 303 Fighter Squadrons were Polish manned barring the senior officers during the BoB. There were also two bomber squadrons formed around the same time, 300 and 301. 303 (Polish) Squadron were the highest scoring Hurricane squadron of the battle, and combined with 302 were responsible for shooting down 12% of the German aircraft lost during that time.

After the battle, Air Chief Marshall Sir Hugh Dowding wrote:

"Had it not been for the magnificent material contributed by the Polish squadrons and their unsurpassed gallantry, I hesitate to say that the outcome of the Battle would have been the same."
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    302 and 303 Fighter Squadrons were Polish manned barring the senior officers during the BoB. There were also two bomber squadrons formed around the same time, 300 and 301. 303 (Polish) Squadron were the highest scoring Hurricane squadron of the battle, and combined with 302 were responsible for shooting down 12% of the German aircraft lost during that time.

After the battle, Air Chief Marshall Sir Hugh Dowding wrote:

"Had it not been for the magnificent material contributed by the Polish squadrons and their unsurpassed gallantry, I hesitate to say that the outcome of the Battle would have been the same."
    Maybe those who moan about Polish people living in the UK should remember that!...
    If deemed political please delete!...

I remember watching the dog fights during the filming and found an ejector seat in an hedge but being young just played with it and forgot about it. it was filmed at R.A.F Debden which is still there, and was given some photos of the planes parked up most of which were apparently fake, wish I could remember what I did with them.

I've got a DVD of the making of the BOB and it states that more ammo was fired during the making of the film than was actually used in the real BOB. Another piece of trivia.

Wow never knew that.
    Best Regards Matt

On the look out for original ww2 M26 Adrian helmet liner.

?

Something I found interesting is that the 109s had Rolls Royce Engines in them ( The Spanish ones used in the film) so they had to dub the proper engine sound.

Dean O