Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Bomb Release Gear-But From What???

Article about: Can anyone id this bomb release unit that i have. I was told when i bought it a few years ago that it was WW2 era but this is doubtful as data on the attached data plates indicate 1949 as th

Default Bomb Release Gear-But From What???

Can anyone id this bomb release unit that i have. I was told when i bought it a few years ago that it was WW2 era but this is doubtful as data on the attached data plates indicate 1949 as the year of manufacture. It is designed to carry 100 to 1000lb bombs. Any idea what aircraft this unit was used on would be great. Regards, Tim.

Default Re: Bomb Release Gear-But From What???

i reckognise the bomb release on the cord. De Haviland Mosquitos had a very simmilar one which the Navigator used at the command of the pilot. i have a mosquito pilots manual from 1947, with photographs of the layout of the cockpit, it tended to be attached to the left side of the cockpit.

Quote by Berthier92 View Post
    i reckognise the bomb release on the cord. De Haviland Mosquitos had a very simmilar one which the Navigator used at the command of the pilot. i have a mosquito pilots manual from 1947, with photographs of the layout of the cockpit, it tended to be attached to the left side of the cockpit.
    Thanks loads for that info as its very helpful to have some idea. Its a nice piece but pretty heavy and solid lump of metal. I got this from the Malvern Military convention back in 2005 for £50 which i didnt think was bad. Regards, Tim.

The hand written STIs/ARM 69 and 73 is a record of a 'SPECIAL TECHNICAL INSTRUCTIONAL ARMAMENT no. 69 and 73' being carried out. The RAF still use the same format.

?

Could have been involved in special trails involving Spitfires and/or Seafires.

I grabbed this on the net.

VP437 Seafire 47 G88 On loan from CSA VA Chilbolton 3-1-48 RNDA 30-1-48 RAE 25-3-48 armament trials VA EA 1-7-48 acceptance trials with wing bomb carrier Em/EF of 100lb to 1000lb loads. Carrier jettisoned by means of toggles on cockpit floor. RAE 6-49 RATOG and catapult trials. mods AAEE 5-50 Naval Air Fight Dev Unit 1950/52 AGT Gatwick 20-4-53 refurb Stretton 28-1-54 cocooned SOC 3-10-56

Quote by BenVK View Post
    Could have been involved in special trails involving Spitfires and/or Seafires.

I grabbed this on the net.

VP437 Seafire 47 G88 On loan from CSA VA Chilbolton 3-1-48 RNDA 30-1-48 RAE 25-3-48 armament trials VA EA 1-7-48 acceptance trials with wing bomb carrier Em/EF of 100lb to 1000lb loads. Carrier jettisoned by means of toggles on cockpit floor. RAE 6-49 RATOG and catapult trials. mods AAEE 5-50 Naval Air Fight Dev Unit 1950/52 AGT Gatwick 20-4-53 refurb Stretton 28-1-54 cocooned SOC 3-10-56
    Thanks so much for that as it is fascinating information. I thought this type of item was largely regarded as 'junk' but it appears there is more to it than that thankfully. Cheers loads, Tim.