Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Buried treasure in Burma: Squadron of lost WWII Spitfires to be exhumed

Article about: Here is a cool story I found: Buried treasure in Burma: Squadron of lost WWII Spitfires to be exhumed | Fox News

Default Buried treasure in Burma: Squadron of lost WWII Spitfires to be exhumed

Default Re: Buried treasure in Burma: Squadron of lost WWII Spitfires to be exhumed

Hi Joel,
    What a story if only they could be brought up and then put back into flying shape, i am going to follow this story if poss, thanks for putting it up.
    Dave.

?

Default Re: Buried treasure in Burma: Squadron of lost WWII Spitfires to be exhumed

Interesting and even amazing if true.
    But "buried in August 1945 to prevent them from falling into enemy hands"
    Really!

?

There are a couple more threads about this story on the forum, try a search for 'spitfires burma' and you should find them easily.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

There's a Heinkel He219 Uhu apparently being salvaged from a Norwegian fjord today. That's a rare bird, as there's only one other in existence in the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum, and that's not complete (see below).

I'll try and get some pic's up if anyone's interested, might be difficult as it's a bit hush-hush at the mo.

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Buried treasure in Burma: Squadron of lost WWII Spitfires to be exhumed  
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Yep, The UHU in the UDVAR-HAZY is spectacular.
    It was captured at the FliegerHorst/Luftwaffe Airfield of Grove/Karup in Denmark.
    Many planes there were sadly bulldozed together in a corner by the allies after the war.
    Amongst them several beautiful FW 152 hight altitude interceptors. Just sad.
    Here a few of my pics from one of several visits to the UDVAR

Quote by big ned View Post
    There's a Heinkel He219 Uhu apparently being salvaged from a Norwegian fjord today. That's a rare bird, as there's only one other in existence in the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum, and that's not complete (see below).

I'll try and get some pic's up if anyone's interested, might be difficult as it's a bit hush-hush at the mo.

Regards, Ned.
    I am very interested Ned, good luck

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Here we go....Looks like it went in pretty hard or trawling/ships anchors have given it a tough time!

Plane Talking - HyperScale's Aircraft Scale Model Discussion Forum: Raising a He 219

Makes me wonder what the Do17 off the coast of Kent will look like when that's recovered. I suppose it may clean up well enough to be displayed if they have all the preservation facilities up and running, but it's a bit of a dissapointment after all the hype...

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

This story has been doing the rounds for sometime, there’s a British team looking for the plans with Government backing, plus I now some Yanks also looking, and trying to beat the old Brits to the star prize which is a bit of a shame as the main player on the British side has dedicated many years and quite a lot of money to the project. I’m sure at the end of the day there be in very poor condition even if they were well protected when they were buried as the moisture content and humidity out there would reek havoc with the aluminium and steel components, but like looking for buried treasure I’m sure half the fun is the challenge finding the stuff, in the first place.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "