MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Can anyone ID these WW 1 planes?

Article about: Help. please. I have been trying to identify the time and place for an album of old photos that show a group of American workmen who appear to be salvaging old WW 1 aircraft. The pictures sh

Default Can anyone ID these WW 1 planes?

Help. please. I have been trying to identify the time and place for an album of old photos that show a group of American workmen who appear to be salvaging old WW 1 aircraft. The pictures show these men in a landscape devoid of trees that is harsh, cold, muddy and flat. There are a few U.S. sailors in the pictures. The photos posted here show some of the planes they are dealing with. Correctly identified, I hope these planes will provide a clue as to where the pictures were taken. Insignia on some of the aircraft appears to be a dark circle surrounded by a light circle. Could this have taken place in Siberia? Alaska? France?Can anyone ID these WW 1 planes? Any thoughts you might have would be appreciated.

Default Re: Can anyone ID these WW 1 planes?

Better pictures would really help. scan each one alone and post it largish on here. The single engine one looks a lot like a RAE Be 2 C. Likely France.

Quote by asterperious View Post
    Better pictures would really help. scan each one alone and post it largish on here. The single engine one looks a lot like a RAE Be 2 C. Likely France.
    Just left click on the pic's and then zoom in.

It does look like a Be 2c but the angle of the cabanes on the wing and the undercarriage struts look a bit different, perhaps it's a really early type? Maybe a 'Harry Tate' (RE 8)? I agree the ramdals appear to be the French type.

The bombers at bit of a bugger though, although I'm sure I've seen the type before somewhere.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks for your help. This is about as big as they are going to get.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Can anyone ID these WW 1 planes?   Can anyone ID these WW 1 planes?  

Can anyone ID these WW 1 planes?  
    Attached Images Attached Images Can anyone ID these WW 1 planes?  Can anyone ID these WW 1 planes? 

The bomber is an Italian Caproni Ca5. Some were built in France by Esnault-Pelterie in 1918 which helps date the pic if so.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Can anyone ID these WW 1 planes?  
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I think Ned got it!..