Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Do you enjoy First World War aircraft? (Instalment 2)

Article about: Good Evening / Morning Ladies and Gentlemen Okey-doke - got my breath back and now to continue..... Firstly is a German inclinometer. The apex of the triangle faces forwards and it would hav

Default Do you enjoy First World War aircraft? (Instalment 2)

Good Evening / Morning Ladies and Gentlemen

Okey-doke - got my breath back and now to continue.....

Firstly is a German inclinometer. The apex of the triangle faces forwards and it would have a card with a vertical cut-out with degrees marked at the rear of it. It is filled with fluid - but I'm unable to ascertain what that may be.

It is the same as exhibited at Musee de L’Air. I apologise for the pictures - I've tried everything - indoors/outdoors/flash/no flash. It looks a lot better in hand!

Do you enjoy First World War aircraft? (Instalment 2)Do you enjoy First World War aircraft? (Instalment 2)

The second piece is the buckle from a seat-belt of a German aircraft (unfortunately I was unable to purloin an entire seat-belt assembly). There were several different varieties of seat-belts used on aircraft during this period. This has a particularly strong locking mechanism...not sure why .

The actual webbing would have been riveted to the buckle. While not in pristine condition, I'm more than happy with it.

Cheers
    Tim

Do you enjoy First World War aircraft? (Instalment 2)Do you enjoy First World War aircraft? (Instalment 2)Do you enjoy First World War aircraft? (Instalment 2)Do you enjoy First World War aircraft? (Instalment 2)Do you enjoy First World War aircraft? (Instalment 2)

?

Neat stuff.

Very interesting couple of items!...

That'll keep yer trousers up!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

nice to see the older bits.