Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Dornier Do 335 "The Beast"

Article about: Hi all, Here's an interesting image showing the over all size of Dorniers Do 335. She was one big bird for a fighter (this example is a two seat trainer). Notice the height of the undercarri

Quote by SHINDENKAI View Post
    Speaking of bailing out, did they set a 88mm shell underneath a pilot seat of the Me-163 Komet ???

Regards,
    Taka
    Not that I know of Taka.
    I would think with the 163's volatile fuel mix an explosive ejection could possibly be the end for both the aircraft and pilot in one big bang.
    Worth looking into though.

Quote by Thanatos View Post
    Not that I know of Taka.
    I would think with the 163's volatile fuel mix an explosive ejection could possibly be the end for both the aircraft and pilot in one big bang.
    Worth looking into though.
    Yeah, I thought so...

Dornier Do 335 "The Beast" Chick for larger pic.

Thank you, Dave.

Cheers!
    Taka

I love the 335! It was my favourite aircraft model to make

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Im a huge fan of the DO.

Ive been to the museum housing the only surviving example several times with the plane being one of the main reasons for going there.

A big and impressive plane. A milestone in aircraft design IMO.

Here a compilation of pics I snapped on several different occasions:

And the Arado blitz behind it is my second favorite plane! :-)
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

I can't get over the size of it! Its a beast of an aircraft!

Nice shots Scout, Cheers mate for posting them hey.
    I do like the U-Boat observation Focke-Achgelis FA 330 Rotary Wing Kite in image two. It's a ripper.

Sorry meant image two gents.
    Last edited by Thanatos; 12-20-2013 at 12:26 PM. Reason: correction

?

Quote by Danmark View Post
    And the Arado blitz behind it is my second favorite plane! :-)
    Indeed. One of my top favourite planes as well. Incredibly beautiful and so alien for its time.
    When I saw it on my first visit there, I simply could not get over how sleek, elegant and advanced for it time the plane was.
    That glass cockpit (imagine the view from there!!), the periscope and it being a jet to boot!
    That would put the fear of God into Allied pilots seeing that thing whizz by without a chance to intercept.

A periscope! It has an effing periscope, LOL!

Quote by Thanatos View Post
    Nice shots Scout, Cheers mate for posting them hey.
    I do like the U-Boat observation Focke-Achgelis FA 330 Rotary Wing Kite in image one. It's a ripper.
    Thanks a bunch.
    Yes, it is - the idea of launching it from a sub as en 'eye in the sky' was not a bad idea at all IMO.
    As this thread shows, the Germans sure were not timid in regards to thinking outside the box.

The Udvar is a fantastic place to go to experience aviation technology. The museum will blow you away, if you are an aviation nutter.

Highlights (to me) are also the fuselage of the sole surviving Heinkel 219 'UHU' and the sad remains of a rare Horten III sail plane.

The latter admittedly not looking like much, but the significance of any design from the hands of the Horten brothers simply can not be overestimated IMO (last pic shows the Horten brothers, Reimar and Walter).

Speaking of Horten designs; the The Smithsonian has a Horten H IX V3 (RLM designation Ho 229) on the short list for resto/display.

Now, THAT will be a thing to behold!!!

When that goes on the floor for display, 'Ill be back!!' (the latter with a slight Austrian accent).

Check out the fabulous pics/slide of it here:
    Horten H IX V3 | National Air and Space Museum

Linky-poo
    hortenwings

Oooops, post a little bit longer than planned, sorry if I went overboard/out on a tangent, but I find the planes in question fascinating and it a subject close to my heart
    Attached Images Attached Images Dornier Do 335 "The Beast" 

No probs scout, the more details the better.
    The henschel Hs219 tank buster is another of my faves.
    Any of these left?

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Wow, i knew the do 335 was a fairly big aircraft for a fighter but i didn't realise it was that big!...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast