MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Dornier Do 335 "The Beast"

Article about: Hi all, Here's an interesting image showing the over all size of Dorniers Do 335. She was one big bird for a fighter (this example is a two seat trainer). Notice the height of the undercarri

Default Dornier Do 335 "The Beast"

Hi all,
    Here's an interesting image showing the over all size of Dorniers Do 335.
    She was one big bird for a fighter (this example is a two seat trainer). Notice the height of the undercarriage compared to the guy's standing beneath her.

Dornier Do 335 "The Beast"

She was a "beast" of a design.

Hope you like her

Dave

I love the 335 Dave!
    Not only a big beast to look at but by all accounts it was a beast to fly.
    Named the "arrow" they were more prone to 'snaking' & 'porposing' rather than going straight as an arrow.
    Still it was a great idea at the time.

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Hi Dan,
    By all accounts they certainly were handfull to fly as well as difficult to get off the ground. The twin motor push-pull design was very innovative for it's time. I read somewhere that they got more top end speed from this design at altitude by feathering the front prop with only the pusher prop engaged.

They were a thing of great beauty and power.

Cheers mate
    Dave

The Do-335 in in fact the fastest propeller driven fighter during WWII. Faster than a P-51D.

I once heard that a P-51D Mustang pilot was shock to see a Do-335 passed from behind in an enormous speed.

Cheers!
    Taka

Here's a good old publication,
    Aero Series 9 "Dornier Do 335 "Pfeil" "
    Published in 1966. The price tag I would assume maybe from the first year of decimal currency in Australia. Expensive little things in their day.

Dornier Do 335 "The Beast"Dornier Do 335 "The Beast"Dornier Do 335 "The Beast"Dornier Do 335 "The Beast"

Full of great photo's and technical information.

Cheers
    Dave

Vary neat. The "arrow" is one crazy plane. Apparently to bail out the planes rear part would just pop off sucking the pilot out.

[QUOTE=Panzersaurus;1063357]Vary neat. The "arrow" is one crazy plane. Apparently to bail out the planes rear part would just pop off sucking the pilot out.[/Q

Hi Panzersaurus,
    Yes mate that I believe is correct. It was due to the tailplane design. The tailplane and rear pusher prop could be ejected from the airframe so it did not impede the pilot bailing out. No Martin Baker ejector seats here.

[QUOTE=Thanatos;1063359]
    Quote by Panzersaurus View Post
    Vary neat. The "arrow" is one crazy plane. Apparently to bail out the planes rear part would just pop off sucking the pilot out.[/Q

Hi Panzersaurus,
    Yes mate that I believe is correct. It was due to the tailplane design. The tailplane and rear pusher prop could be ejected from the airframe so it did not impede the pilot bailing out. No Martin Baker ejector seats here.
    No, certainly not! Getting stuck up on the tailplane while bailing out was probably the worst thing that could happen to a pilot. I remember hearing about Gloster Meteor pilots who's only hope for survival while bailing out was that their tail had been blow off.

I've always thought that these planes just looked fast! However, I must admit to only either seeing pictures of them on the runway or in the air.

I am somewhat 'gob-smacked' at the actual size of it.

It is indeed an interesting image. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
    Tim

Speaking of bailing out, did they set a 88mm shell underneath a pilot seat of the Me-163 Komet ???

Regards,
    Taka

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast