Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

F104G Starfighter

Article about: I thought this was worth sharing!.... "Anybody want's to buy a Starfighter? Well, then buy an acre of land....and wait..." Die Wartung des Starfighters F 104 G - Vor-und Nachflugin

Default F104G Starfighter

I thought this was worth sharing!....
    "Anybody want's to buy a Starfighter?
    Well, then buy an acre of land....and wait..."

Die Wartung des Starfighters F 104 G - Vor-und Nachfluginspektion (1976) - YouTube

?

Hell. I'll take 2 and use them for bookends.

one of my favorite aircraft.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

I remember them flying over town (in Germany) in the mid-1970s on a regular basis...they make a very distinctive "whistling sound"...much different than the F4 Phantoms which made more of a "roaring sound"...
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    I remember them flying over town (in Germany) in the mid-1970s on a regular basis...they make a very distinctive "whistling sound"...much different than the F4 Phantoms which made more of a "roaring sound"...
    cheers, Glenn
    That Glenn is the sound the F104 makes as it stalls and falls out of the sky. I'm sure it was a frequent heard sound in 1970s West Germany.

great video paul ,its a wonder it took off judging by the short span wings ,i wonder how it would of faired against the east german migs and su's

Quote by James C View Post
    great video paul ,its a wonder it took off judging by the short span wings ,i wonder how it would of faired against the east german migs and su's

I don't think it would have stood a chance in a dog fight, it was more of an interceptor than a true fighter. When Johannes Steinhoff took over command of the Luftwaffe and grounded the entire F-104 fleet because the losses were so great.
    There was a lot of outrage in West Germany because basically Lockheed bribed the government to use the Starfigher!...

There were a number of factors that made the loss rate for the Starfighter high in West German use-a single engine type (when it goes wrong you don't have a spare), very often poor and changeable weather with flying at low level and the first supersonic aircraft used by them.

They were known as the 'Widow Maker' by crews I seem to recall, the early ones had a downward firing ejector seat that claimed a lot of lives during low level emergencies. They were later changed to upward firing, but these too were not perfect as they could only be used at a speed no higher than around a hundred miles an hour. The aircraft was tricky to fly, being ultra sensitive to control input by the pilot, and mistakes were rarely forgiven.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi Ned also known as the flying coffin ,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast