Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

FW190 being restored

Article about: Focke-Wulf FW 190 - White 1

?

Default Re: FW190 being restored

The previous owner's dream on the wing at the first pictures

?

I'd never stop believing, that restoring a WW2 aircraft /even found in bad shape/ means erazing history and converting a genuine thing into 1/2 to 3/4 replica. Not to mention the further risk of it making a hole in the ground during an airshow

These two are also being restored, the one found in the woods near Leningrad (early 1990's) is in the US, the other one is in Norway where it was found in the fjord.

YouTube - Focke Wulf 190 recovery

YouTube - Rosyjskie wykopki 4

?

I like to see these really beautys again on the air.

Quote by Sokol View Post
    I'd never stop believing, that restoring a WW2 aircraft /even found in bad shape/ means erazing history and converting a genuine thing into 1/2 to 3/4 replica. Not to mention the further risk of it making a hole in the ground during an airshow
    i totally agree, imagine getting the mona lisa, removing the 'old' paint, throwing away the ground, repainting it on new wood from old photos. totally crazy when you can just build a perfect replica from scratch.

All the same it's still a thrill to see them fly.

Fortunately they don't crash very often but when they do I agree it is a terrible loss, but, as a frequent visitor to the National Air Races(I live 45 minutes from where they are held at Reno/Stead Airfield and a good friend of mine controls almost the whole flight line with his business so I get good seats) I can safely say there is nothing more impressive than seeing a F7F Tigercat, or a F8 Bearcat, or a P-51, or a Hawker Sea Fury ripping past you at 50 feet elevation and 450 knots! Another friend of mine Doug Champlin has recently agreed to sell his FW-190 to Paul Allen(at least that was the last I heard) so I will no longer be able to sit in the cockpit

Cheers
    Gary
    Quote by Sokol View Post

Maran
    ?

This is good.

Most of the FW-190s seen at airshows are really Hispano HA-1112 "buchon" aircrafts, which were built in Spain with license from Messerschmitt AG during WWII and after. They remained in service until the sixties in the spanish Air Force.

I would definitively ground the last real WWII warbirds remaining in the world and keep them in museums for future generations to admire. It is horrible everytime one crashes, both because the loss of life and for the destruction of a museum piece.

Regards,

Gus

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast