Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

HE 111 & ME109 wreck pic

Article about: Thought you guys would like this pic. Tom.

smz
    ?

Default HE 111 & ME109 wreck pic

Thought you guys would like this pic.

Tom.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture HE 111 & ME109 wreck pic  

Default Re: HE 111 & ME109 wreck pic

Looks like that's taken in the desert. Must be relatively early in the war judging by the poor old Hurri in the background.

Any caption come with it ?

Steve T

smz
    ?

Quote by Steve T View Post
    Looks like that's taken in the desert. Must be relatively early in the war judging by the poor old Hurri in the background.

Any caption come with it ?

Steve T
    No caption I'm afraid, a picture I found on the net about 3 years ago, was happy with the size of it so I thought I had better let you guys have it too

It is a nice photo. I had not seen it before either.

If you click on it you can enlarge the unit insignia on the He111 which shows a palm tree and a mosque. Maybe a forum member will be able to tell us what unit this represents?

Cheers, Ade.

boxmike
    ?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    It is a nice photo. I had not seen it before either.

If you click on it you can enlarge the unit insignia on the He111 which shows a palm tree and a mosque. Maybe a forum member will be able to tell us what unit this represents?

Cheers, Ade.
    Tricky one; that insignia does not belong to any KampfGeschwader but actually StukaGeschwader. At least Stab/St.G 3 used it and had also other types like He111(in pic is model H6 I think). The picture may be from El Daba airfield Egypt after Allied capture late 1942. There were some 50-60 Luftwaffe wrecks to collect. The Hurricane may be of model IIC or IID.
    Regards,
    - boxmike

thanks for the pic it is now my screen saver

Hi Boxmike, thanks for the info, I knew someone would know!

Cheers, Ade.

Hi guys,
    The Heinkel is definately an aircaft of StG 3. The unit badge was a Palmtree, mosque and minaret, adpoted soon after their arrival in North Africa at Gambut in August 1941. As correctly stated by Mike, the unit originally flew the type as well as Messerschmitt Bf 110's and Dornier Do 17's before settling with stuka's for most of the rest of the war.
    All these types were coded '2F' to StG3.This can often complicate matters for historians, as '2F' was allocated to several different units in various theatres of WW2.
    Cheers, Ned.

boxmike
    ?

Thanks for filling in, Big Ned. They had their reasons to make identification tricky sometimes but it must be a pain for historians.
    Just for aviation archaeology point, Stab and I/SG3 (StG3 changed late 1943) moved to north during summer 1944 to form part of Gefechtsverband Kuhlmey in Finland in response to Soviet summer offensive. If not already dug up, the parts of some of those Stukas may still exist in Carelian Isthmus.

Regards,
    - boxmike