Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HELP:ID digged plane parts

Article about: Thanks for clearing up the confusion on the logo Mike - I obviously haven't been paying as much attention to these small finds as I should - My most recent dig was on a Mustang and uncovered

Default HELP:ID digged plane parts

Dear gentlemen,hello from France!
    A guy on my digger's forum just found these plane parts(apparently..)
    Any help is welcome!!And for once,pics are brilliant!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture HELP:ID digged plane parts   HELP:ID digged plane parts  

HELP:ID digged plane parts   HELP:ID digged plane parts  

HELP:ID digged plane parts   HELP:ID digged plane parts  

HELP:ID digged plane parts  

?

Default Re: HELP:ID digged plane parts

They are certainly aircraft parts - They appear to bt hydraulic pipe fittings - The bright blue anodising indicates they are most probably from an American aircraft and one has what looks to be part of the North American logo on it and they certainly look right for a Mustang.

Fantastic Nick!
    Thank you so much for your help!!

I see no 'North American Aviation' logo anywhere, exept for
    a single 'A' repeated 5 times on a fitting.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

That would be a stylised "A" with what appears to be part of a wing motif - both characteristic of the NAA logo - I agree very unusual to see it on a coupling - usually only found on a few inspection stamps (most are just initials NAA) and on the rudder pedals , but it could be! - But then I have only been excavating crash site for some 30 years, including around a dozen Mustang sites - so I admit I still have much to learn. Also the 65 prefix is North American IIRC - Either way these parts would certainly make me think Mustang if I found them.
    Last edited by NickW; 04-07-2011 at 11:27 PM.

Pics 4 and 7 are of a different component than the others are they not? If i'm honest, i too originally thought North American logo as well. but on closer inspection i was also not convinced. So it is reassuring to me for Nick to state that in his 30 years experience including excavating over a dozen P-51 crash sites that in his considered opinion at least one of the two couplings shown is from a Mustang. I look forward to a definate conformation on it's origin of manufacture as these somewhat insignificant little pressure elbows have been taxing me time wise since first posted!

Regards, Ned.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

One thing I have learned though - is never take anything for granted! and while I still say that from what I have seen - my first instinct is Mustang - from experience I would like to see more parts for definite proof. As I said, it would be quite unusual to see a makers logo on a pipe union and now I have looked at it a bit longer (perhaps too long!) I also see a likeness to part of the Boeing logo stamp - small versions of which do appear on a lot of B-17 parts - oh! and the "65" part no. prefix could also be Boeing - Oh well! More parts needed I feel.

anyway,thanks my friends for your work!

the a motif is for AEROQUIP. this company made , and still does make hydraulic hose and fittings. you can search them on the net. it is an american firm. you find aeroquip marked parts in most, [ probably all ! ] crash sites of american manufactured aircraft. this means your wreck is an allied aircraft. as a hydraulic hose fitter myself i have made thousands of aeroquip hose assemblies mostly for plant and automotive applications. cheers , mike

hi again, just to clarify what i said on my previous post, i have seen aeroquip marked components on wrecks of b17,b29 b24 and c47 aircraft so your crash site may be a p51 but could be another american made aircraft. cheers, mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast