Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Help Identifing Two Planes...

Article about: Thanks for the additional information. I will be keeping my camera handy so next they (or the P-51) fly over my house, I will get better pictures or video. Best Regards, Mike

?

Default Re: Help Identifing Two Planes...

Quote by MySonsDad View Post
    Kid says:

Left Forground - YAK 18

Right - Chinese Nanchang CJ-6 (YAK-18)

Thanks, guys! Looking at pictures of them on the internet, it looks like your son could be right! Now what the heck are they doing in Alabama! Where's that P-51 when you need it?
    My next-door neighbor is the manager of the airport. Next time I see him I'll ask him about these planes.

Thanks Everybody!
    Mike

Quote by M422A1 View Post
    Thanks, guys! Looking at pictures of them on the internet, it looks like your son could be right! Now what the heck are they doing in Alabama!
    Those YAKs are pretty common here in the states. Got a group of 5 of them that fly here localy.

Quote by M422A1 View Post
    Thanks, guys! Looking at pictures of them on the internet, it looks like your son could be right! Now what the heck are they doing in Alabama! Where's that P-51 when you need it?
    My next-door neighbor is the manager of the airport. Next time I see him I'll ask him
    about these planes.Thanks Everybody! Mike
    I'd be over asking to meet the owner of the P-51 - and perhaps
    begging a few minutes sit in the cockpit.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    I'd be over asking to meet the owner of the P-51 - and perhaps
    begging a few minutes sit in the cockpit.........!
    The kid does not have an opportunity to get close to a P-51 but does have a shot at going up in a B-17 here real soon!

Wow - that would be something to remember ! - Make sure
    you have a camera with a fully charged battery.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Wow - that would be something to remember ! - Make sure
    you have a camera with a fully charged battery.........!
    No worries the kid doew not leave how with out his cell phone so of all other means fail......

It would be really cool if he gets to go up. Right now, he's got a 1 in 50 chance as his CAF wing is selling 50 tickets ONLY for a seat on the Sentimental Journey, which will be at the local CAF wing for a few days starting in May 21st. I purchased one ticket, I guess I should grab 1 or 2 more, before they sell them all, to increase his chances.

At the very least we should be at the airport when she flies in. The B-17 will be flying from March Air Reserve Base to our local airport along with our local wings C-53 and T-6 Texan. Should be quite the site.

Just to be in close proximity to and old War Hero
    like a B-17 would be amazing.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Just to be in close proximity to and old War Hero
    like a B-17 would be amazing.........!
    Steve, my son has been very fortunate in regards to some of the people he has met. The CAF wing that he is a cadet has been blessed to have not one but two B-17 crew members in the wing. Sadly one passed a few years ago (Roy Test - you can google him, he was a B-17 co-pilot of the Bad Penny) and still living is a still living crew member named Wilbur Richardson whom we saw just this past Saturday. Wilbur will be up in the B-17 on the 21st, during the press flight, as an honored guest. Wilbur is also actively involved with a B-17 restoration project at the Planes of Fame Air Musium in Chino, CA. My son knows how fortunate he is to be able to speak and spend time with such men of history.

Most kids today do not realise the importance of what these guys
    did for their country and the world.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Hi, I stumbled across this thread while searching for the latest images of our airshow team. While the answers here are very very good and ALMOST correct, it's a near miss on the left plane.

The plane on the left is a Yak 50. That was a soviet design from the mid-70's that was intended to win the world aerobatic championship. They succeeded with that and quite a few still fly. We have two in our squadron. They have a 4,000fpm climb rate and are stressed to over 9G.

The right-hand plane is, as was mentioned, a Nanchang CJ-6A. It's a common confusion that the Nanchang is a Yak or a Yak copy or derivative. Actually it's an original and unique Chinese design that replaced the Yak-18 tail-dragger China had been using. Yak made the 18-A which is a tricycle-gear plane but the Chinese evaluated it and didn't like it. Particularly as it was a frame and fabric airplane and China had plenty of aluminum. Other than the engine and some systems (the PLAAF instructors wanted the new plane to have similar controls and cockpits to the Yak 18), there are no common parts or even designs (even the airfoils are of unrelated design).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast