MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

help needed with crash site

Article about: Hello Bob, the pieces you have are definately aircraft, just not a Spitfire rudder pedal (photos of the two types used attached), it's probably some form of electrical insulator. Typhoon ped

bob55314
    ?

Default help needed with crash site

hi all. i know this may seem quite strange but i think i have found forgotton crash site or one that has not been dug. major amounts of the plane and air frame remain but i am having trouble finding out what plane it was. we recovered what looks to be the rudder peddle, small engine parts and yesterday when we visited the site i found what was left of the altermeter!! for safty sake i do not want to say were abouts the site is at the mo for fear it will be robbed by those people who sell aircraft parts on ebay it seems like a world war 2 weck as there are plenty of 20mm cannon cases around the site all stamped with 1940,1942 ete. the altermeter has the leters ALT on it and 6A/1588 i will try to find anymore parts with numbers if this helps
    Last edited by bob55314; 04-11-2010 at 12:31 PM.

?

Default Re: help needed with crash site

SMITHS MK XIVA ALTIMETER. 1941. No. 25423/41. 6A/685. 0 - 35,000’. “9/42” also painted in white on dial. Air Ministry. Adjustment knob on bottom centre. Type used in Spitfires, Hurricanes and Lancasters. hope that helps )
    Last edited by Chris; 04-11-2010 at 09:24 PM.

?

Here's a 20mm cannon out of a Mk IX Spitfire (for visual recognition of parts). From what I gather Hurricanes were armed with .303 Cal, Lancasters with 303's and 50's

Last edited by Chris; 04-11-2010 at 09:23 PM.

?

Barrel assembly

Receiver :

?

Spitfire cockpit rudder pedal assembly:

Vs Hurricane rudder pedal assembly:

If you're finding 20mm cases then it is almost definitely a British aircraft, probably a Spitfire or something slightly bigger like a Mosquito or Beaufighter or something 'older' like a Typhoon. Try and match the rudder pedal to the pics Chris has linked.

The '6A/1588' is an Air Ministry code (is there an 'AM' stamp on the item as well with a 'crown' between the letters ?) so this again narrows it down to a British aircraft.

Lastly, you need to be a little careful. If there are any aircrew remains on the site you are digging on a war grave and, whether known or not, it is strictly illegal. I suggest you try the local library and look through old newspapers. Many will have reference to aircrash sites that may not be recorded centrally.

And please.....if you do find the remians of any aircrew....stop digging and ring the authorities !

Cheers and good luck with your site

Steve T

From what I took to understand the digging within a certain area around a crashed aircraft in the UK is illegal. All British millitary aircraft crash sites are protected in this country and, I gather, in any other country that one may have crashed in. Best to check the law on that one.

bob55314
    ?

i have carefully cleaned the altermeter and found MK XII D and 10.7 on whats left of the dial does this help? the rudder peddle is not like the ones in the picture? i will post some pictures later tonight

Like Steve said, be carefull with digging at aircrashsites. The authorities realy don't like outstanders digging at these sites. Even in the Netherlands they are very strict about this. If you find some remains DO ring the authorities! If i where you i would look in books and in the library. There are often documents in which eyewitnesses tell there story. You will often won't find these storys because they aren't written in any books. I've found some interesting information in these old documents at the library.

cheers,

bob

Have a look on this site....

SpitfireSpares.com - warbird Instruments

....and I will re-stress. All these aircraft, whether known or not, are protected under the appropriate act of parliament. Digging them is almost certainly illegal without written permission from the appropriate government department.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL

Steve T

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast