Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Huge Aviation Loss

Article about: Bloody shame that, I have been in her, she came to RAF Honington in 1992 along with the Sally B for an Air display, what a sad day!

Thumbs down Huge Aviation Loss

Yesterday, the B-17G "Liberty Belle" had a forced landing in a corfield near Chicago after an engine fire was reported. the Bomber was succesfully landed by the crew who survived. By the time the firebrigade arrived it was too late to save the bomber as the fire spread from the wing to the fuselage completely destroying the aircraft.

A Huge loss for historians and aviation fans
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Huge Aviation Loss   Huge Aviation Loss  

Huge Aviation Loss   Huge Aviation Loss  

Default Re: Huge Aviation Loss

Very sad. This is always the risk in flying these old machines. I am just pleased they all got out safe.

Cheers, Ade.

Deffinitly, they were very lucky. a sad loss though.... and very expensive

Ahh man some sad photos of a b17

I was reading about it in the news at work today, but did'nt see any photos..thats too bad.

TK

Really sad, I enjoyed reading about her in Aviation magazines

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quote by Franz1944 View Post
    Ahh man some sad photos of a b17
    yes, we hoped to have seen the last of such images in WWII

A sad loss indeed, but there are still double figures of thes old birds flying if that is of some consolation.

Let us at least celebrate the good drills of the flight crew who force landed her with no casualties to anyone on board, so many young men never made it in identical circumstances during the war. Below is a local newspaper report of the incident with concise photo's of the aircraft on fire in the air, and after the forced landing. It is of interest to note that the No.2 engine had it's prop feathered and may have been shut down before it landed, unfortunately to no avail. At least all souls are safe, that is what really matters.

Images: World War II B-17 crash in Oswego - DailyHerald.com

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Latest news on other forums is that she was grounded on Sunday at an airshow due to fuel leakage from the lines to No's. 1 and 2 engines. Someones gonna be in trouble......
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Someones in for a real rocket once the NTSB get finished with the investigation especially with that latest bit of news, but there may be some redemption in this, there appears to be workable spares that could be utilised to help maintain other B17s like the engines , propellers, etc, but the main thing is the safety of the crew and that they havent become another warbird fatal statistic

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast