Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Inflatable Russian planes

Article about: Here is an article from the English Daily Mail showing how Russia uses inflatable planes and tanks to fool Nato spyplanes.Better than a bouncy castle methinks link here: When I said blow the

Default Inflatable Russian planes

Here is an article from the English Daily Mail showing how Russia uses inflatable planes and tanks to fool Nato spyplanes.Better than a bouncy castle methinks

link here:
    When I said blow them up, comrade...: The inflatable planes used as decoys by the Russian military | Mail Online

text and pics below
    When I said blow them up, comrade...: The inflatable planes used as decoys by the Russian military

By Nick Mcdermott
    Last updated at 11:08 AM on 8th April 2010

* Comments (49)
    * Add to My Stories

They wouldn't be much good in a dogfight. In fact, they wouldn't be much good in a stiff breeze.

But despite their somewhat comical appearance, these inflatable warplanes and tanks serve a vital role in the Russian military.

Seen from even a short distance, they are indistinguishable from the real thing - meaning they can be effectively used to confuse and distract an enemy.
    The floating fighter plane: An inflatable Russian Su-27 jet

The floating fighter plane: An inflatable Russian Su-27 jet

These inflatables are made by the Russian manufacturer Rusbal.

The company was approached by the Russian defence ministry to supply full-scale decoys to protect the true capabilities of their strategic installations from being seen by surveillance satellites.

Weighing around 220lb (100kg), the decoys can easily be transported and installed by small teams of soldiers in minutes.
    Balloon squadron: From here, the decoys could be the real thing

Balloon squadron: From here, the decoys could be the real thing

Tanks for the help: Soldiers put up an inflatable

Tanks for the help: Soldiers put up an inflatable

They imitate the heat signature of combat units, fooling enemy infra-red detectors.

And they even stay intact after suffering minor damage from bullets or explosions.

Demand from other nations has been so strong that Rusbal is now offering imitations of Western military equipment as well as Russian.

It is not the first time armies have used decoys to fool their enemies.

Such tactics were used during the Cold War and extensively in the Second World War.
    Heavy armour: But this tank actually weight just 220lb

Heavy armour: But this tank actually weight just 220lb

The Allies went to great lengths to hoodwink the Nazis, deploying hundreds of inflatable tanks during Operation Fortitude in fields

around Dover to convince the German high command that the invasion of France would take place near Calais rather than Normandy.

Up to 500 decoy air bases complete with fake runways and fake fighter planes were also dotted around Britain to trick the German air force. Some were deliberately set on fire to try to deceive Nazi bombers.

It is estimated that some 50 per cent of attacks on British airfields by the Germans during the Second World War hit decoy bases.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Inflatable Russian planes   Inflatable Russian planes  

Inflatable Russian planes   Inflatable Russian planes  

Default Re: Inflatable Russian planes

Pretty cool, It's like a jump tent for the military. That trick has been around a long time, I guess it still works enough to keep doing it.

Mike

i want one of those su 27's for my back garden

neat idea odd they are using the same technique the british used during ww2 but to deseive nato (british)

tom

The old tricks are the best.....Just goes to show how the Russians are struggling since the fall of communism and the break up of the state as a whole. I believe they even have trouble paying their armed forces on time during certain periods, not good if you don't want another revolution on your hands.....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by talltom View Post
    neat idea odd they are using the same technique the british used during ww2 but to deseive nato (british)

tom
    You right Tom, we used them to fool Jerry in WW2 where the invasion was going to be launched !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem