MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

JU 88 Engine Cowling Latch ?

Article about: Hi Guys! I recently bought this 'Russian Front Relic' with no identification from the seller other than that location. After some research, I think it is a JU88 Engine Cowling Latch, (from o

Default JU 88 Engine Cowling Latch ?

Hi Guys!

I recently bought this 'Russian Front Relic' with no identification from the seller other than that location.
    After some research, I think it is a JU88 Engine Cowling Latch, (from one fitted with Jumo 211 Engines).
    I've found a near identical item on your Forums, (which was a great help thankyou), but noticed my latch has no stamped numbering or other markings.
    Also I found it intriguing the paintwork still has AUF/ZU clearly marked and the fact that a Tan camo paint has been applied over the Duck egg Blue under body colour?
    Please can you shed any light on this Relic as any details would be greatly appreciated.

JU 88 Engine Cowling Latch ?JU 88 Engine Cowling Latch ?

Yes this example looks exactly like the one I posted. Minus the stamps, and "Zu Auf". This example has a very interesting color pattern! Looks to be camo from the Mediterranean region, but why would this pattern be left on during use in Russia? I can confirm this is defiantly from a Ju88. I just received a package in the mail from another Ju88 crash site, and this same part was among the random parts included. I think you may be right about it being from the engine cowling area. I'm not 100% sure about that, but I can picture it coming from that area. All in all, Its a VERY nice relic!! Defiantly a good addition to your collection.

Best regards- Jarret

Here is that part I was referring to. Came from a Ju88-A1 crash site in Russia. Same as yours, but slightly damaged from the crash.

Best regards- Jarret

I love relics like this, and really interesting too.

Quote by The Devil's Bank View Post
    I love relics like this, and really interesting too.
    Then we have similar taste!! LoL I’ll post a thread tonight showing some awesome Luftwaffe relics. Best regards- Jarret

I look forward to that Jarret

Thanks so much for your informed reply Jarret!
    So glad you have confirmed them as JU88 parts.
    I have noted from old photos that the Jumo 211 Engines have 3 lower latches like these,(on the port sides only) of each Cowling.
    The camo paint is sure a mystery for an Eastern Front aircraft, perhaps someone out there can explain it?

No problem MIKHALE!! I can see it now! After looking at the photo, there's no doubt about it coming from the engine cowling area. Thanks for posting that! About the camo paint. Heres a few theories I can come up with. When this Ju88 switched from the Mediterranean to Russia, it was probably quickly repainted another color to better fit the Russian front. A lot of the sections were probably still in this camo configuration, after the quick respray. Another theory. Ive noticed some Russian relic hunters really get around, and its quite possible this one was actually recovered from the Mediterranean. Even though they advertise "Found in Stalingrad" and etc, they could have been recovered anywhere. Just my thoughts. Enjoy the awesome relic!!

Best regards- Jarret

Hi again!
    I like the logic of your theories Jarret, who knows for sure exactly where it was dug up or if the aircraft had been transferred to the Eastern Front with previous camo intact ??
    I do know that JU88s were involved in anti-shipping strikes over the Baltic States while based in Russia, but haven't yet identified their camo being the same as those in the Mediterranean theatre.
    Thankyou again for your helpful comments, and all the best with your Relic Collecting Jarret.

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture JU 88 Engine Cowling Latch ?   JU 88 Engine Cowling Latch ?  

JU 88 Engine Cowling Latch ?   JU 88 Engine Cowling Latch ?