Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just arrived - possible AEG G11 (WW1 German bomber) tail fin

Article about: Good Evening/Morning Ladies and Gentlemen A little while ago I posted that I had just purchased this piece. I can now say that it has arrived. The Seller packaged it very well - I was suitab

Default Just arrived - possible AEG G11 (WW1 German bomber) tail fin

Good Evening/Morning Ladies and Gentlemen

A little while ago I posted that I had just purchased this piece. I can now say that it has arrived.

The Seller packaged it very well - I was suitably impressed!

It is (as you may imagine) quite fragile and unfortunately it has cracked the entire length of the piece - however it is still in one piece and ...well...just wonderful.

The Seller stated that the writing read: "A.E.G. Dom E II". I initially thought it really read: 'AEG Bomb GII'.

I still do. However, I think there needs to be more research into the shape of it.

I'm more than a little excited about this purchase.

I'm sorry about the photos - but I wanted to take at least some even though the weather is not terrible conducive to the event. I will take more when it clears up.

Cheers
    Tim

Just arrived - possible AEG G11 (WW1 German bomber) tail finJust arrived - possible AEG G11 (WW1 German bomber) tail finJust arrived - possible AEG G11 (WW1 German bomber) tail finJust arrived - possible AEG G11 (WW1 German bomber) tail finJust arrived - possible AEG G11 (WW1 German bomber) tail finJust arrived - possible AEG G11 (WW1 German bomber) tail fin

Looks great!
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Looks like it says 'AEG BOMBER' to me, with a few paint chips excepted of course.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hmm - yes it does - strange I didn't see this.

Cheers

[Edit: And this make me a lot happier to be honest. I was not getting a lot of satisfaction in my previous searches.]

It just appears obvious at first glance, maybe you were looking at it too hard! Anyway, I wouldn't expect a pilot/ erk/infantryman or soldier of any kind to have the exact type, model and mark down to pat unless they were really 'genned up on the enemy aircraft of the time. 'AEG BOMBER' seems to be more likely to me, but that's just my opinion.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I like it. Do you have plans for a display?

Yes I do milco. I'd like to frame it using double glass - so that you are able to see the obverse and reverse.

I just need to find a suitable framer - I will be going to the Museum for some advice before I do.

Cheers

Excellent idea. Probably need some kind of UV blocking glass to help preserve the color. Or just display it out of direct sunlight. Would love to see the final display as well.

When it gets done I will certainly post it.

Cheers

AEG made many aircraft in WWI, but their bombers were mostly experimental or rejected for various problems. The AEG G.II was about the most successful of the 10 different bombers they produced. The fact that the cross is on White is a help in identifying it also, as many of them were painted in darker colors. It is a good chance that this piece came from the tail of a AEG G.II. These aircraft were fairly early to mid-war and were used in 1915-6 time zone and the Maltese cross disappeared soon after to be replaced by one more similar to the WWII style aircraft straight armed crosses. AEG = "Allgemeine Elektrizitaetsgesellschaft" (General electrics company)
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast