Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Just when you are over the moon, something comes along...

Article about: Good Evening / Morning Ladies and Gentlemen Do you ever have one of 'those' days when one minute you're over the moon and the next, well.... I find it's almost like this comparison: you've d

Default Just when you are over the moon, something comes along...

Good Evening / Morning Ladies and Gentlemen

Do you ever have one of 'those' days when one minute you're over the moon and the next, well....

I find it's almost like this comparison: you've drooled over 'that' MGA and you manage to finally grab the red one below. Yes, you know it's not all that it could be, but it's a damned fine piece of machinery. But then as soon as you bring it home, the white one appears - fully original - and with those period options that you always wanted.

Just when you are over the moon, something comes along...Just when you are over the moon, something comes along...

Over the past month or so I have managed to acquire some radio items used in several aircraft from the Great War including the DH-4 and JN-4 (items related to the SCR-57/68). Am I still happy with them? Why yes, I am! Below are some Sellers pictures of the items I have - I'll make separate posts and use my own pictures a little later.

Just when you are over the moon, something comes along...Just when you are over the moon, something comes along...
    Western Electric Microphone - missing some pieces, but still a damned good find!

Western Electric Interphone SCR-57 - with an original lead!

However, I just came across this on eBay.

The full aircraft setup - including the aerial spool! (This is something that I've never seen) Unbelievable. It was put up less than 24 hours ago, already has 14 bids and is up to about US$880 - with 5 days remaining.

Just when you are over the moon, something comes along...

I can well imagine it will sell for several thousand dollars.

Oh well. Now what was the name of that song?

Oh - here it is!

Cheers
    Tim
    Last edited by Allegra; 12-31-2013 at 08:56 AM.

You Know you gotta Bid on it! Where will you ever find such a complete set up again? And you can Always sell your First rig to recoup some of the costs!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Damn it William - I've been seriously thinking about it.....

Sometimes these rare sort of things come in waves...you'll see 2...3...4 of them in a row all of a sudden and then you won't see another for 20 years....it never fails!
    William

Short waves? (Sorry I couldn't resist)

Yes - I was astonished when I found the 2 pieces above and a generator prop that would have been used with the set-up.

And having seen quite a number of Western Electric No 1-A flying helmets up until a month ago - now nothing.

Cheers
    Tim

$2,425.00 US final bid price plus $238 postage to Australia plus Insurance.... Yikes!
    William

Holy C... how much for a piece of history,someone's got deep pockets...........

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    $2,425.00 US final bid price plus $238 postage to Australia plus Insurance.... Yikes!
    Have to be honest and say I didn't bid. They are exceedingly nice, but my head over-ruled my heart.

I looked and looked and eventually thought that the items would sell for over $3k. I'm actually very surprised they didn't. My gut says they are bound for Australia.

Cheers