Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lancaster flying over

Article about: We have a Lanc B Mk I here in the RAAF Museum in Perth, a non flyer now as she was received from the French Aeronavale in the early 60s still flyable after maritime patrol use in the Pacific

Default Lancaster flying over

The City of Lincoln Lanc flew over my village today. Did what I could with the camera as it was some way off.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lancaster flying over   Lancaster flying over  

Lancaster flying over  

?

Default Re: Lancaster flying over

That Swallow is giving it a good run for it's money! Great pics, lucky you had your camera to hand!

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Lucky you Dave You got a Merlin fix !

You got a good shot there mate

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

That’s the BBMF Lanc right??? I always get goose bumps when I see that!! That Lanc was built in the village where I grew up and most of my family including myself worked in the Factory where it was built! My parents next door neighbour worked on it as well as Wellingtons

It did pass over a lot closer over the back of the house but I was not ready or expecting it. Got the camera just in case she came back which she did. Yeah its the BBMF Lanc based at Conningsby, Lincs. I live about forty miles away. It has been over before but you just have to get lucky.

I saw on the Yorkshire news tonight it did a tribute flypast this afternoon to these guys:

The crew of World War II Lancaster W4904 remembered | Calendar - ITV News

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Cool. Yes I love that aircraft! The Broughton Factory where she was built is now an Airbus Manufacturing Facility; we/they build wings for all the Airbus range of aircraft including the new Super Jumbo A380 aircraft. I first worked at the site in the mid late 80's when I first left school, most of my family worked there after the war including my father who spent 30 years there after leaving the army in the 60s. We do know people including a neighbour who worked there through WW2, including a lovely old guy a few doors away who actually took part in the building of the Wellington Bomber in 24hrs!!

I returned to Broughton Factory a few years ago in a different capacity, worked there again for 2 years, but was so disappointed in 2009!! 2009 was the 70th anniversary of Broughton Factory being built, was built in 1939 in my home village of Broughton, North Wales, as a shadow factory for Vickers down in Filton, Bristol. Built mainly Wellingtons and later Lanc's

In 2009 to celebrate the anniversary, amongst other things, the BBMF were invited to attend, I stood there eagerly awaiting the Lanc that 70 years before had left the same factory id walked around so many times, but she was not there!! I was so disappointed!!

To cut a long story short, I feel it was a political decision, Airbus is now solely owned by mainly the Germans, French and Spanish, BAE sold their shares a few years ago

I believe that Airbus did not want the Lanc there for PC reasons, the Airbus factories in Bremen and Hamburg today, are I believe the very same factories that the bombers at Broughton were built and sent over to destroy, it left a sorry feeling in my stomach that the Lanc was not there in the fly past !!

Dave, if you do not mind, i am going to have that picture of yours as a desktop background for a while !! )

no i don't mind. when i get one better ill let you know

Some quick pictures from a book i have
    Attachment 374069Attachment 374068Attachment 374070

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast