Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Magneto switches 5C/1252 and 5c/1540, WWII or later?

Article about: I stumbled across this site trying to date some magneto switches from my late Grandfather's estate. The Air Ministry reference number is 5C/1252 and they are labelled Switch box No 3, Multip

brenden
    ?

Default Magneto switches 5C/1252 and 5c/1540, WWII or later?

I stumbled across this site trying to date some magneto switches from my late Grandfather's estate. The Air Ministry reference number is 5C/1252 and they are labelled Switch box No 3, Multiple master controller.

So far I've found much contridiction on the web between them being from WW2 RAF bombers (people trying to push up the price?) and other references that they date from the 50's. My grandfather was in the infantry in WW2 and never really talked about it; although I know he was a POW for some time before being liberated and then rejoined the final push into Germany. Post war he was an engineer at a compressor company, so they may not even be linked to the war.

A number of the boxes are still factory sealed (brown paper over a very heavy dark brown/black wax paper like substance) and reference manufacture at Vernons Inds Ltd, CTTS/Stores 13201/C6(c). The open pack contains two pairs of magneto switches labelled as 5C/1540 plus the mounting cage 5C/1540. All items are markes with the AM and crown logo.

So far I've worked out that a 5C instead of a 5CW prefix puts them reasonably early, but any other info would be most welcomed.

Many thanks,

Brenden

?

Default Re: Magneto switches 5C/1252 and 5c/1540, WWII or later?

Hello Brendon, they certainly sound like bomber switches, single engined planes only had one 'double' lever box. Fighter switches tended to be short with a ball on the end, bomber switches have a longer, solid arm with a rounded end. Are you looking to sell a set?

brenden
    ?

Default Re: Magneto switches 5C/1252 and 5c/1540, WWII or later?

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the information. I've pictures below of a set I remember opening about 25 years ago and then one of the factory sealed units. I'd really like to think these could be used as part of a restoration project. The only set I've found for sale (opened but in reasonable condition) was at Spitfirespares.com, for a price of £275! I know that this would have a commercial mark up, and I'd not want to take the p**s, so maybe I'd be open to an offer from members of the forum.