Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Memphis Belle Unveiling!

Article about: This is Fantastic news!!! YouTube AWESOME JOB!! Semper Fi Phil

?

Default Memphis Belle Unveiling!

This is Fantastic news!!! They Totally restored the original Memphis Belle!!!

YouTube

AWESOME JOB!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

I'll add to this the following link. You need HBO apparently to watch the documentary but here is a You Tube of the "making of" The Cold Blue. They found the original tape and restored it.

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

You Have to see "The Cold Blue". Those old original fuzzy blurry Memphis Belle films digitally enhanced to crisp and clear shots!!! It was Amazing!
    I don't have HBO, But you can get a free week with Amazon, Then end it with no Charge. Yeah I'm a cheap bastard but I watched it 4 time!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Wow, Nice, brings back memories of when I used to print T's for the Commemorative Air Force..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Memphis Belle Unveiling!  
    Attached Images Attached Images Memphis Belle Unveiling! 
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

I'm sorry to be a sack! It's great she's preserved, but I'm not happy about her looking brand new!! sorry all.

Quote by MAP View Post
    I'll add to this the following link. You need HBO apparently to watch the documentary but here is a You Tube of the "making of" The Cold Blue. They found the original tape and restored it.

Tacking on this to my copy of "The Cold Blue" Cheers Michael

Thanks for the information, Phil.
    I have HBO, then tonight i will look for the documentary.
    You know ?. When I see something like this, I find it difficult to understand that military history does not drive everyone crazy.
    I also agree with René that the restored plane has been "too" new, but it is wonderful.
    The B-17 is in my opinion a marvel of aeronautical engineering. By the way, Adam Makos's book "A Higher Call" with the story of Me Bf 109 and B-17, I loved it.
    Good weekend to everyone.

Best
    Santi

?

Absolutely fantastic , It was in very poor condition and deserves to be as new again to preserve for the future generations.

?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    I'm sorry to be a sack! It's great she's preserved, but I'm not happy about her looking brand new!! sorry all.
    I'm glad they restored her. She became a rust bucket sitting out in the elements just wasting away. Now if somebody would have taken care of her for all these years that would of been great to see her with all the wear and tear you would expect. But she was not cared for and fell into a sad state.

But that's just my thoughts on Her.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    I'm glad they restored her. She became a rust bucket sitting out in the elements just wasting away. Now if somebody would have taken care of her for all these years that would of been great to see her with all the wear and tear you would expect. But she was not cared for and fell into a sad state.

But that's just my thoughts on Her.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    I agree with both opinions in principle because;

1. As militaria collectors we don't like to see things restored to mint condition or as we tend to say "messed with" in the way of repainted helmets etc.

2. To restore and recreate the wear and tear "patina" would be false in itself and no matter how good the "artist" it just would not look right.

So, given that "The Belle" was neglected and not cared for in a way that would allow the patina to be natural (it would have been "frozen in time") a restoration to "Ex-Factory" condition is really the best option. This way it looks real and shows the machine as it was before it developed any wrinkles rather than looking like something off a movies set!

It would be nice to see it as per "mission complete" but post war handling has made that impossible so this is the best alternative I feel! At least such an historically significant aircraft is here to represent them all. Unlike our own Lancaster (only two in flying condition), there are quite a few airworthy B17 left so perhaps this one should be a "display piece".

Does look good though doesn't it?

Regards

Mark

PS I know the "mission tally" markings and the factory finish are a bit of a contradiction but it's only spotters like us that would even notice!
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast