Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Mosquito ! Sit down before you read this.

Article about: Suberb sight -well done the Kiwi's Hope all goes well at the launch day tomorrow.

Default Re: Mosquito ! Sit down before you read this.

There are no airworthy 'Mozzies' anywhere in the world sadly :

The last airworthy Mosquito, a T3 RR299 G-ASKH "HT-E", was destroyed in an airshow accident at Barton, Manchester, England, on 21 July 1996, in which both aircrew were killed. In 1959 RR299 was based at Exeter Airport serving in the CAACU (Civilian Anti-aircraft Cooperation Unit) located there. There are approximately 30 non-flying examples around the world with several under restoration. The largest collection of Mosquitos is at the de Havilland Aircraft Heritage Centre, which owns three aircraft. Three additional aircraft are currently under restoration to fly including one owned by Jerry Yagen, being restored by Glynn Powell in Auckland, New Zealand
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Sorry I must have been mistaken.I thought there were a few flying examples in the UK,It appears Im way out of touch.Thanks for the correction Stickgrenade.
    That makes this specimen quite precious hay.
    So would this Mosquito and the flying Lanc's would be the only multi engine Merlin powered airframes flying?
    Sorry again for the blunder.
    Cheers
    Dave

It wasnt a blunder Dave, with so many warbirds flying around you would expect there to be a mozzie !

I believe you are right, I cant think of any airworthy multi engines merlins apart from the two Lancs.

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Hey Dave , no probs mate , thanks for your input , it`s just that i`ve been to a fair few airshows and never seen a mossy , that`s why i wondered

Thanks for the info Nick
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

There is a static Mosquito just down the road from me, which I visit from time to time

Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images Mosquito !  Sit down before you read this.  Mosquito !  Sit down before you read this. 

It's a little known fact that PA474 the BBMF Lanc is the ONLY strategic bomber still officially 'on charge' with the RAF.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    It's a little known fact that PA474 the BBMF Lanc is the ONLY strategic bomber still officially 'on charge' with the RAF.
    I didnt know that Ned

Nick

They need to hurry and get this baby flying!

Four more merlins in the air !!

BBC - Bid to get third Lancaster in the world flying again

Quote by Stickgrenade View Post
    There is a static Mosquito just down the road from me, which I visit from time to time

Nick
    Nice pics - that's Tony Agar's NFII re-creation 'HJ711' at Elvington. An incredible reconstruction job which started with a cockpit section......

You are spot on Martin

Nick

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast