Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

pensioners from Lincolnshire have restored a rare WWII Lancaster bomber

Article about: by Gunny Hartmann Yeah, but Merlins were common to both!.. Yeah, and I also had SU carbs on my Mini Cooper years ago !!! I have worked on SU carbs quite alot and I am still amazed they worke

Default Re: pensioners from Lincolnshire have restored a rare WWII Lancaster bomber

Thats the first time I have seen that sad footage

It just seemed to stall

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Default Re: pensioners from Lincolnshire have restored a rare WWII Lancaster bomber

Quote by Woolgar View Post

It just seemed to stall

Nick

Hi Nick,

Yes very sad, I grew up with that aircraft, used to be part of every summer, watching and hearing it flying around, the pilot used to do all his training routines around the airfield, we were only half a mile away, the pilot was a great chap although i never met him

When I worked at the factory when i was younger the Mossy was based in a hanger across the airfield from ours, used to see and hear it most days, it was totally restored in the late 80's and early 90s. Lovely aircraft, my favorite really

I think in the inquest to the pilots death, a jammed rudder was blamed for the accident, you can just see in the video, he just manages to get control of it but its too late

A big well done to the pensioners!..
    A real shame about the Mosquito and of course the pilot!..

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    A big well done to the pensioners!..
    A real shame about the Mosquito and of course the pilot!..
    Yeah Gunny, sorry if i gave the impression i didnt care about the pilot, was sad for both of them

Quote by Totenhead View Post
    Yeah Gunny, sorry if i gave the impression i didnt care about the pilot, was sad for both of them
    No need to be sorry mate, i wasn't thinking that at all!...

Quote by Woolgar View Post

It just seemed to stall

Nick
    IIRC the aircraft had entered a wingover maneouvre towards the end of the display and as it reached apogee negative G was responsible for the carburettor in the left engine to fail in some way sending RR299 into a spin. The pilot nearly recovered it in time, he regained control too low and it went in to a small wood near the aerodrome killing him and his engineer.

The strange thing was I would normally have been at Barton airshow, as I went most years, but only the week before I witnessed Hoof Proudfoot getting killed at Duxford in the P-38 'California Cutie', it upset me enough to cancel Barton that year. In fact, I've never been back. It's hard to believe it was over 16 years ago...
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    IIRC the aircraft had entered a wingover maneouvre towards the end of the display and as it reached apogee negative G was responsible for the carburettor in the left engine to fail in some way sending RR299 into a spin. The pilot nearly recovered it in time, he regained control too low and it went in to a small wood near the aerodrome killing him and his engineer.

The strange thing was I would normally have been at Barton airshow, as I went most years, but only the week before I witnessed Hoof Proudfoot getting killed at Duxford in the P-38 'California Cutie', it upset me enough to cancel Barton that year. In fact, I've never been back. It's hard to believe it was over 16 years ago...
    Ahh Big Ned, I stand corrected, I may have been thinking of an eye witness report at the time, to be honest not really thought about it since, time flies pardon the pun, all i know is i have missed the sight and sound of it ever since !

Here is the complete report

http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources...pdf_501355.pdf

The carb modification they mention in the report to stop negative G fuel starvation was Called Miss Shillings orifice shouldn't giggle it's a serious thread!...Miss Shilling's orifice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    The carb modification they mention in the report to stop negative G fuel starvation was Called Miss Shillings orifice shouldn't giggle it's a serious thread!...Miss Shilling's orifice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Interesting, Cheers Gunny

Sorry for highjacking this thread !!! Its not a Moquito thread !!!

Quote by Totenhead View Post
    Interesting, Cheers Gunny

Sorry for highjacking this thread !!! Its not a Moquito thread !!!
    Yeah, but Merlins were common to both!..

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast