Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Piston head, but from what aircraft?

Article about: I got this piston head a couple years back from my neighbor who had gotten it from a friend of his who worked at a military airfield. It has been cut down and made into an ashtray, a very ni

Thumbs down Piston head, but from what aircraft?

I got this piston head a couple years back from my neighbor who had gotten it from a friend of his who worked at a military airfield. It has been cut down and made into an ashtray, a very nice object. But now I am wondering if it is possible to find out what aircraft it is from:

Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

Default Re: Piston head, but from what aircraft?

Quote by colletorww2 View Post
    I got this piston head a couple years back from my neighbor who had gotten it from a friend of his who worked at a military airfield. It has been cut down and made into an ashtray, a very nice object. But now I am wondering if it is possible to find out what aircraft it is from
    This is one of the more unusual types and can deffo rule out Rolls Royce Merlin engine as the pistons were different to this type in not having the curious 'dome' shaped top. Its not a Bristol Hercules piston either as they are similar to the Merlin types and having flat heads. Its obviously aero engine of some type and may take time finding out which one but check on some of the internet resources first and key in WW2 Aero Engines in your search and see what comes up. Failing that id tale picture and send it to the Imperial War Museum as they will point you in right direction if they dont know. Would be good to know how you get on so keep us posted! Regards, Tim.
    Last edited by Matt L; 04-20-2012 at 02:53 PM.

DeeBee
    ?

Default Re: Piston head, but from what aircraft?

Guys, I can also say for sure that it is not from Allison V12. Will be interested to see where it belonged. Cheers