Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Probably a german plane ?

Article about: Hello, Thank you Ned for your complete answer. The member Crash has posted again to say that indeed it could not be the idea he had. I know for the moment what it is not. Thank you for all t

Default Probably a german plane ?

Hello,
    Who will tell me more about this piece of cockpit found in Normandy? He appears to have traces of combat.

The glass is screened, 4 cm thick (5 successive leaves visible).
    The base is 40 cm, the portion of the top 15 cm, and the two sides 38 cm. The piece weighs approximately 8.5 kg.

Thank you in advance
    Ze-Pole

Default Re: Probably a german plane ?

Hello,
    Nobody to help me ?
    ZP

?

Well,it does look like the front windshield from a ME 109E or F or G...Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Quote by zwerge View Post
    Well,it does look like the front windshield from a ME 109E or F or G...Pete.
    I'm sorry Pete, but I disagree,

The armoured screen as shown, is similar to one off a Bf 109, but the bottom, or wide end is flat. The ones on 109's were arced at the bottom due to the cockpit to fuselage coaming, see below.

I believe that the screen above is actually shown UPSIDE DOWN, and is in fact from an Fw 190, where the wide end (top) is flat, as for that matter is the narrow end (bottom). Please see the two different screens below.

The screen on a P-51 also is very, very similar to that of the Fw 190, but the narrow (bottom) end is also arced like the Bf 109, so the one above cannot be off a Mustang.

Therefore I suggest that the armoured windscreen shown here is that of an Fw 190.....But I could be wrong of course!

Regards, Ned.
    Attached Images Attached Images Probably a german plane ?  Probably a german plane ? 
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Hi Ned,I do believe you`re right (again)...Regards...Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Well deduced Ned

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Hello,
    Thank you very much for the time you spend to answer to my question !
    On this french forum, it seems difficult also to find the solution :

Connexion

ZP

Hello,
    Here is new picture :

I hope it will help you ?
    ZP

Hello,
    Always information owing to this forum MC3 :

Connexion

The member "Crash" indicates :
    That would be a "Kopfschutz-panzerscheibe", seen on some Bf109 G and on Bf109 K. Possible also on high armoured 109. It would be behind the pilot to protect his head.

He found :

(1944) Werkschrift 2109 K-4 Teil 1,2,3,4,5 Bf 109 K-4 Flugzeug-Handbuch

(see pages 112 and 129 of this document)

Best regards.
    ZP

Quote by ze-pole View Post
    Hello,
    Always information owing to this forum MC3 :

Connexion

The member "Crash" indicates :
    That would be a "Kopfschutz-panzerscheibe", seen on some Bf109 G and on Bf109 K. Possible also on high armoured 109. It would be behind the pilot to protect his head.

He found :

(1944) Werkschrift 2109 K-4 Teil 1,2,3,4,5 Bf 109 K-4 Flugzeug-Handbuch

(see pages 112 and 129 of this document)

Best regards.
    ZP
    Hi ZP,

Once again I have to disagree... The rear armoured glass for the Bf 109 G-K series (as shown below from the link you supplied) is a completely different shape and size it would appear to my eyes anyway.

The 1/32 scale model ( I couldn't find a suitable pic of the real thing!) shows the armoured glass more easily than the Bf 109 K manual, and I think the difference from the piece you have is obvious. The bottom pic shows again a diagram of the Fw 190 cockpit. The screen is more like yours than the other one in the manual.

Furthermore, the armoured glass on the Bf 109 G-K had been uprated to 90 mm thick not 40mm as your piece has been stated. The later model Fw 190's had 50mm glass which is closer, but I admit not the same either.( Although it is possible that both pieces could have lost a/some layer(s) of laminate. I still believe the armoured screen is more Fw than Bf under the evidence submitted so far, but I guess the question is not yet resolved.

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Probably a german plane ?   Probably a german plane ?  

Probably a german plane ?   Probably a german plane ?  

Attached Images Attached Images Probably a german plane ? 
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast