Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

'Quiz: Name that Aircraft'

Article about: Good Evening / Morning, Ladies and Gentlemen Looking through some very old posts, I came across a few initiated by Zwerge. They were about: 'Name that aircraft'. I'd like to update these, bu

Quote by zwerge View Post
    A Morane Saulnier type L......Pete.
    Hi Pete

Congratulations - it is indeed!

Cheers

The Morane-Saulnier L, also known as the Morane-Saulnier Type L was a French parasol wing one or two-seat plane of the First World War. The Type L became one of the first successful fighter aircraft when it was fitted with a single machine gun that fired through the arc of the propeller, which was protected by armoured deflector wedges. Its immediate effectiveness in this role launched an arms race in fighter development, and the Type L was swiftly rendered obsolete. The original Type L used wing warping for lateral control, but a later version designated Type LA was fitted with ailerons.

Built by Morane-Saulnier, large numbers of the Type L were ordered by the French Aviation Militaire at the outbreak of the war, being designated the MS.3. In total about 600 Type Ls were built and, in addition to the French air force, they served with the Royal Flying Corps, Royal Naval Air Service and the Imperial Russian Air Service.

The type was also produced under license in Germany by Pfalz Flugzeugwerke as the unarmed A.I and A.II scouts, and later the E.III armed scout. A few Type Ls captured by Germany were fitted with a single German Spandau IMG 08 machine gun. These captured and converted aircraft are often mistaken for Pfalz E.IIIs

not fair to many get on too early lol.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    not fair to many get on too early lol.
    And reply to 20 threads in as many minutes.....LOL.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quiz #13

Yeah gads - another long day - got home 10 minutes ago.

Anyhooo.....

The quiz today will comprise 4 teaser pictures with the final, full image being revealed when I get home from work tomorrow!

Two points will be awarded if correctly named prior to the final image being posted. Once the final picture is loaded, only a single point will be awarded.

I am after the full aircraft name and model.

Best of luck!

Teaser 1:

Teaser 2:

Teaser 3:

Teaser 4:

Avro 504, with the central ski ?

I'm afraid Morris, I'm after the full name and model, but I will say that you are all but there!

Cheers
    Tim

The Shuttleworth Avro 504K w/Skid

Congrats!!

I would have accepted it w/o skid!

That's two points to you.

Well done.

The Avro 504K was a two-seater biplane designed in 1913 in the U.K. by A.V. Roe and Company Limited (Avro). It served in reconnaissance and anti-Zeppelin patrols during the First World War, but was later developed as a trainer aircraft.

Quiz #14:

The final one for the night.

I would like the full name and model of the aircraft.

Only the one image will be shown.

I don't think it will be overly difficult.

Cheers

Edit: I think there needs to be a time line set for this thread, though I'm happy to reconsider....please see Post #4 'League Table'.
    Last edited by Allegra; 02-25-2015 at 01:37 PM.

?

I don`t know what it is,but is sure is ugly....
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast