Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

'Quiz: Name that Aircraft'

Article about: Good Evening / Morning, Ladies and Gentlemen Looking through some very old posts, I came across a few initiated by Zwerge. They were about: 'Name that aircraft'. I'd like to update these, bu

Quiz #18

I do not believe that this Quiz will take long to solve.

A point will be awarded only to the person who is able to give me both the name and model of the following aircraft.

Only three images will be shown.

Best of luck!

Image 1:

Image 2:

Image 3:

Caproni Ca.3

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Caproni Ca.3
    It is indeed Gunny - well done!

The Ca.3 was a three-engined biplane of wooden construction, with a fabric-covered frame. The crew of four were placed in an open central nacelle (front gunner, two pilots and rear gunner-mechanic). The rear gunner manned upper machine guns, standing upon the central engine in a protective "cage", just in front of a propeller. The fixed conventional undercarriage had double main wheels under each engine and a tailskid under the extreme tail of each boom. A substantial double nosewheel prevented damaging and dangerous noseovers.

Armament consisted of two to four Revelli 6.5 mm or 7.7 mm machine guns, one in a front ring mounting and one, two or sometimes even three in an upper ring mounting. Bombs were suspended under the hull.

Quiz #19

Well after the warm up, now comes the main event!

I am after the name of both the Ace pictured and the full name and model of the aircraft.

One point will be awarded to the correct identification of the pilot and one point for the aircraft.

Pilot:

Aircraft:

Francesco Baracca and Nieuport 11

Well knock me over with a feather!

Congrats Gunny - I thought that the plane would not take people long, but I had relatively high hopes on the pilot...not a lot of people know the Italian Aces.

Well done!

Francesco Baracca saw little action in 1918, but he added more victories, for a total of 34, before failing to return from a strafing mission on the Montello (hill) area on 19 June. The Italians were taking advantage of their air supremacy to fly treetop ground attack missions into a storm of small arms fire. In the 0630 troop support mission, Baracca and rookie pilot Tenente Franco Osnago were hit by ground fire and split from one another. A few minutes later, both Baracca's home airfield and Osnago saw a burning airplane fall. According to other sources, Baracca had left Osnago to provide him with top cover as he dived on the enemy trenches. Osnago lost sight of his commander, then he saw something burning in a nearby valley. Some days later, on 24 June, after an Austro-Hungarian retreat, Baracca's remains were recovered from where they lay, four meters from the burnt remnants of his Spad VII. A monument in his memory was later built on the site.

The small Nieuport 11 biplane was affectionately known as the "Bébé" (baby). Originally designed for racing, this light plane was fast and extremely maneuverable. Its only major problem was in the design of its wing struts. In a steep dive, the struts allowed the wings to twist, sometimes with disastrous results. Used by the British and French to counter the Fokker E.III, the Nieuport 11 was disadvantaged by its lack of a synchronized machine gun.

Quiz #20

Final one for a little while - have to do the shopping, etc!

I am looking for the name and model of the the aircraft below. (Hint: there are several of this aircraft variation - so be mindful)

There will only be the 4 images.

Good luck.

Image 1:

Image 2:

Image 3:

Image 4:

With Le Prieur rockets......
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

S.E.5? As discussed I spend a good deal of time at and around the Rhinebeck aerodrome.
    The tell for me was the wire configuration from wings to fuselage.

I know the S stands for Scout, don't know the rest off the top

Quote by GeneralPutnam View Post
    S.E.5? As discussed I spend a good deal of time at and around the Rhinebeck aerodrome.
    The tell for me was the wire configuration from wings to fuselage.

I know the S stands for Scout, don't know the rest off the top
    I'm afraid it's not, but I will say that the aircraft that I'm after was produced later than the SE 5a

Cheers

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast