Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15

'Quiz: Name that Aircraft'

Article about: Good Evening / Morning, Ladies and Gentlemen Looking through some very old posts, I came across a few initiated by Zwerge. They were about: 'Name that aircraft'. I'd like to update these, bu

Possibly a Martinsyde F.4 Buzzard ? But the pictures where it features a swastika in one and a RAF roundel in another is confusing.

?

Quote by KMMorris View Post
    Possibly a Martinsyde F.4 Buzzard ? But the pictures where it features a swastika in one and a RAF roundel in another is confusing.
    That`s it Morris,you`r good......Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

The book Aircraft of World War 1: 1914-1918 (Essential Aircraft Identification Guide) is very good for this quiz, i would recommend it to everyone.

Bing, bing, bing - we have a winner! Congratulations!

The F.4 Buzzard like the F.3, was a single bay tractor biplane powered by a water cooled engine. It had new lower wings compared with the F.3 and the pilot's cockpit was positioned further aft, but otherwise the two aircraft were similar. The prototype F.4 was tested in June 1918, and again demonstrated excellent performance, being easy to fly and maneuverable as well as very fast for the time. Large orders followed, with 1,450 ordered from Martinsyde, Boulton & Paul Ltd, Hooper & Co and the Standard Motor Company. It was planned to equip the French Aéronautique Militaire as well as the British Royal Air Force, and production of a further 1,500 aircraft in the United States of America was planned.

Deliveries to the RAF had just started when the Armistice between the Allies and Germany was signed. Martinsyde was instructed to only complete those aircraft which were part built, while all other orders were cancelled. The Buzzard was not adopted as a fighter by the post war RAF, the cheaper Sopwith Snipe being preferred despite its lower performance.

Martinsyde continued development of the Buzzard, buying back many of the surplus aircraft from the RAF, and producing two seat tourers and floatplanes. After the bankruptcy of Martinsyde in 1924, these aircraft were obtained by the Aircraft Disposal Company which continued to develop and sell F.4 variants for several years.

The plane was moderately successful in being sold to other countries - such as Germany.

Quiz #21:

Final one for the day.

This is going to be slightly different.

I am only looking for the model designation.

There will be 7 teaser images for show.

They will be released at the rate of 2-3 each half hour.

If you are able to name the aircraft within the first half an hour, you receive 3 points; if you name it in the second half hour, you receive only 2 points and if you name it after this time, you receive only the one point.

Best of luck Gentlemen!

Image 1 - after a bit of a mishap:

Image 2:

Second half hour:

Image 3:

Image 4:

Image 5:

Final images:

Image 6:

Image 7:

The final, full image will be released in 15 minutes.

Last edited by Allegra; 02-28-2015 at 08:46 AM.

?

A PKZ-2 helicopter......Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Quote by zwerge View Post
    A PKZ-2 helicopter......Pete.
    Congratulations Pete!

It is indeed.

The Austro-Hungarian P.K.Z-2 was the first real helicopter and was built during the last stages of World War One.

The PKZ-2 (PKZ for Petrochy-Karman-Zurovec whose ideas and decisions gave a life to the helicopter) was a counter-rotating machine with two rotors and three 100 hp Gnome rotary engines; construction was light and easy for transportation purposes. PKZ-2 was a tethered helicopter with tethering cables, retracted by winches from the ground. The observer was in special cupola and he could escape with the aid of a parachute, if it was necessary. (Have to say that bailing out from a platform immediately above the rotors would take a brave soul)!

Test flights of PKZ-2 began on April 1918. More powerful Le Rhones soon replaced unreliable Gnomes. The helicopter performed more than 30 successful flights but some problems like stability-in-flight were still unsolved.

On June 10, 1918 PKZ-2 was demonstrated for military commanding officers; two flights among others were with the observers basket (but without observer). On the same day helicopter crashed and was slightly damaged.

The book Aircraft of World War 1: 1914-1918 (Essential Aircraft Identification Guide) is very good for this quiz, i would recommend it to everyone.
    Or why not simply right click on the image, hit "Search Google for this image" and voila!!! Every single answer so far on this thread is there!!! And in such minute detail!!! Much quicker and cheaper than buying books like that above or about German aces in Turkey etc.

But I have to give it to you Morris, this previously untapped stream of knowledge, technical detail and identifying of various characters you've suddenly released on an unsuspecting forum regarding ALL things WW1 aero related, however difficult the photo's and even tenuous the descriptions, is truly amazing and I doff my flying cap to your wide ranging, nay, almost encyclopedic, all encompassing learning that has been hidden under a bushel for far too long, Bravo!!

With acknowledgements to Harry the Mole in post #20, "I'm just waiting for some stupid Fokker to come along and mess it all up...."

Well, who'd guess it might be me eh??

Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Bad day Ned?

Quote by big ned View Post
    Or why not simply right click on the image, hit "Search Google for this image" and voila!!! Every single answer so far on this thread is there!!! And in such minute detail!!! Much quicker and cheaper than buying books like that above or about German aces in Turkey etc.

But I have to give it to you Morris, this previously untapped stream of knowledge, technical detail and identifying of various characters you've suddenly released on an unsuspecting forum regarding ALL things WW1 aero related, however difficult the photo's and even tenuous the descriptions, is truly amazing and I doff my flying cap to your wide ranging, nay, almost encyclopedic, all encompassing learning that has been hidden under a bushel for far too long, Bravo!!

With acknowledgements to Harry the Mole in post #20, "I'm just waiting for some stupid Fokker to come along and mess it all up...."

Well, who'd guess it might be me eh??

Ned.
    And in fact, there endith the quiz.

I thank those who participated - if nothing else I thought it was a bit of fun.

Cheers and exit stage left.
    Last edited by Allegra; 02-28-2015 at 11:15 PM.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15