Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

'Quiz: Name that Aircraft'

Article about: Good Evening / Morning, Ladies and Gentlemen Looking through some very old posts, I came across a few initiated by Zwerge. They were about: 'Name that aircraft'. I'd like to update these, bu

Quiz #7:

And now for something completely different....

Well, it's certainly a tad different to the normal images. We undoubtedly have some people out there that work (or at least worked) with blue-prints and many more that work with CAD.

For the rest of us, let's simply attempt to look at the plans and take note of any obvious features and work from there.

I give you at this time, one image and I am looking for the name of the aircraft.

I don't think it should be overly difficult.

And with that, I'm off to bed.

If you have not managed to 'crack' it by the time I return from work tomorrow, I'll upload one other.

Best of British!

PS: I'd actually like to make these quizzes appeal to many Members. Can you please let me know if I'm becoming a little too obtuse?

?

Hawker fury? :-)

Quote by Allegra View Post
    Quiz #7:

And now for something completely different....

Well, it's certainly a tad different to the normal images. We undoubtedly have some people out there that work (or at least worked) with blue-prints and many more that work with CAD.

For the rest of us, let's simply attempt to look at the plans and take note of any obvious features and work from there.

I give you at this time, one image and I am looking for the name of the aircraft.

I don't think it should be overly difficult.

And with that, I'm off to bed.

If you have not managed to 'crack' it by the time I return from work tomorrow, I'll upload one other.

Best of British!

PS: I'd actually like to make these quizzes appeal to many Members. Can you please let me know if I'm becoming a little too obtuse?
    That's an RE8 "Harry Tate"!....

Hi lokvar and Gunny

I'm afraid that both answers are incorrect.

Cheers

?

A be 2f.....
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Hi Zwerge

I'm literally heading out the door to work.

I'm inclined to give this to you - Congratulations - and will post greater details when I get home.

It's actually a BE 2e! There's very little difference between the two and in fact the RE8 and BE2e share many parts as well.

Well done.

Well - it's been a long day - walked in the door 20 minutes ago.

To finish the previous quiz:

The second of the blue-prints

The Royal Aircraft Factory B.E.2 was a British single-engine tractor two-seat biplane which was in service with the Royal Flying Corps (RFC) from 1912 until the end of World War I. About 3,500 were built. Initially used as front-line reconnaissance aircraft and light bombers; variants of the type were also used as night fighters. Like many warplanes since, the B.E.2 was retained in front line service after it had become obsolete, for want of a suitable replacement. After its belated withdrawal it finally served as a trainer, communications aircraft and on anti-submarine coastal patrol duties.

While the type was designed and developed by the Royal Aircraft Factory, the majority of production aircraft were built under contract by private companies, including well known manufacturers as well as firms that had not previously built aircraft.

The B.E.2 has always been the subject of a good deal of controversy. While it proved fundamentally unsuited to air-to-air combat it had a relatively low accident rate, and its notorious stability actually proved helpful in its artillery observation and aerial photography duties.

The "c" began to be superseded by the final version, the B.E.2e in 1916. This variant was again distinguished by completely new wings, braced by a single pair of interplane struts per side (as a "single-bay" biplane), and a set of shorter wingspan lower wing panels. The ailerons, on upper and lower wings, were joined by light struts. The tailplane was again a new unit - being smaller than that of the B.E.2c and d - and the larger, quadrant shaped vertical fin of the late B.E.2c became standard. It was intended to fit a new, uprated version of the RAF 1 - the RAF 1b - but in the event this engine did not achieve production status, and the B.E.2e used the same engine as its predecessor, considerably reducing the expected improvement in performance.

For more information about the BE 2 family: Be.2 (Family) History | The Vintage Aviator

Cheers

Quiz #8:

For this quiz, I am simply after the name of the plane - it's not terribly common, but I know that it should not take people long to suggest the correct answer.

There will only be the one image.

Good hunting!

It would be the useless Blackburn Kangaroo, which failed to fly from the UK to Australia in 1919.

Now don't sell it short Morris!

The Blackburn Kangaroo was originally designed as a naval reconnaissance and bomber seaplane, but was later converted to a landplane. Twenty-four Kangaroos were built, the first example flying in July 1916, and 10 of these were issued to No 246 Squadron (the only unit to operate the type) at Seaton Carew, on the Durham coast, from January 1918. Operations began on 1 May, the Kangaroos flying more than 600 hours on anti-submarine patrols over the North Sea between then and 11 November. During that time they were credited with 12 U-boat sightings and 11 attacks, one of which, on 28 August, resulted in the shared destruction of UC 70 with the destroyer HMS Ouse. They were withdrawn in May 1919.

Congrats - you are racking up the points here!

Well done.

Cheers

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast