Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

'Quiz: Name that Aircraft'

Article about: Good Evening / Morning, Ladies and Gentlemen Looking through some very old posts, I came across a few initiated by Zwerge. They were about: 'Name that aircraft'. I'd like to update these, bu

Quiz #9:

I am after the name of both this very famous Ace and the plane he flew.

One point will be awarded for the correct answer for the pilot and one point for the plane.

I'm literally thinking 10 minutes for this one - and then I have a corker!

There will be only two images.

Blue skies!

?

An SE 5a,James McCudden as pilot.....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Agreed on the SE 5a, but that's not McCudden IMO. But then again, I don't know who he is.....

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

I believe the pilot is Proctor.....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Andrew Frederick Weatherby Beauchamp-Proctor (1894-1921) was South Africa's highest-scoring fighter pilot during World War One, with 54 victories.

Quote by zwerge View Post
    An SE 5a,James McCudden as pilot.....Pete.
    Congratulations Zwerge - it is indeed an SE 5a, but unfortunately not McCudden, but as you later point out, it is in fact Andrew Beauchamp-Proctor.

Andrew Beauchamp-Proctor was the highest scoring South African ace during the First World War, claiming 54 victories. He was an engineering student at Cape Town University when war broke out, but left his studies to join The Duke of Edinburgh's Own Rifles, seeing action in German South-West Africa before being discharged in 1915. After completing his studies, Beauchamp-Proctor joined the Royal Flying Corps, going to France with 84 Squadron in September 1917. He claimed his victories in 1918 and was particularly known for destroying German observation balloons. He was awarded the Victoria Cross for his many victories and excellent service record after also being awarded the DSO, MC and bar, and DFC. He died in a flying accident in 1921.

For some further information: Combat Report for a 54 Kill Ace

NOTE: Thank you Stug for the additional information.

Cheers

Quiz #10:

Well as promised, I believe that this quiz is going to be a 'corker'.

We will begin with the aftermath of being shot down and gradually work our way up to the full image of the aircraft.

There will be 3 'teaser' pictures and then the final full image.

You may think it is impossible to glean anything from this picture, but I dare say several of our Members will have a good idea.

Best of luck!

Off to work now.

Fokker E.III Eindeckers

Tom

Hi Tom

Congratulations - nice to see another contender - that's a point for you!

I felt sure someone was going to say a Dr. 1.

I'll post a fuller answer when I get home.

Cheers
    Tim

As promised, additional information concerning Quiz 10:

The Fokker E.III was basically an E.II fitted with larger, newly designed wings that had a slightly narrower chord of 1.80 meter (70-7/8 in), compared to 1.88 meter (74 in) on the earlier Eindeckers, going back to Fokker's original M.5 monoplane aircraft. The E.III retained the same 75 kW (100 hp) Oberursel U.I engine, and therefore also used the larger diameter "horseshoe" pattern cowling that also mandated the inclusion of the E.II's soffit-like extensions to the sides of the upper nose sheet metalwork, but had a larger 81 l (21.5 gal) drum-shaped main fuel tank just behind the cockpit, which increased the Eindecker 's endurance to about 2½ hours; an hour more than the E.II. Most E.IIIs were armed with a single 7.92 mm (.312 in) Spandau LMG 08 machine gun with 500 rounds of ammunition; however, after the failure of the twin-gun Fokker E.IV as a viable successor, some E.IIIs were fitted with twin guns.

Fokker production figures state that 249 E.IIIs were manufactured; however, a number of the 49 E.IIs were upgraded to E.III standard when they were returned to Fokker's Schwerin factory for repairs.

One of the most famous pilots to fly this aircraft was one Max Immelmann.

Cheers

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast