Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

RAF Aircraft Radio set

Article about: Hello everyone, just picked up this R1155A receiver, the type used in RAF heavy bombers such as Lancasters and Hallifaxes. It appears to be quiet un-tampered with and internally largely comp

Default RAF Aircraft Radio set

Hello everyone, just picked up this R1155A receiver, the type used in RAF heavy bombers such as Lancasters and Hallifaxes. It appears to be quiet un-tampered with and internally largely complete. I have no particular desire to get it working (especially as it has no speaker and would have to be listened to through headphones, so I dont think theres much point.) It is shown here with a late war type wired C type helmet and Mk VIII goggles. Also a picture of one in use on a Lancaster, with the transmitter set above.

Doug
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF Aircraft Radio set   RAF Aircraft Radio set  

?

A very nice item Douglas.. I like the photos too nice to see where it would sit!!.. I was wondering where do you pick up a radio liike this??.. Cheers Terry.

You can get them on ebay (they are quiet common) but often you have to collect them due to the weight.

?

Well, first it is a nice set, and yes they were used on many A/C...however as much as some look alike, the ones used on Hallybags were different.
    There is a different number or an extra designation on the number that tell you if it was for a hallybag, or any other A/C Seems that only the Halli had a different Version of this radio.
    You do see them for sale a lot, however it is rare to find one that was not converted to HAMM use

I think I may have a couple of them myself.

Great find

Dean O

a superb addition to your collection douglas and as always well photographed ,ive learned something from your referance picture showing the set's position within the aircraft
    Regards James

Thanks for the comments. Dean, it does indeed seem that this set is from a Halifax due to the 'A' designation.

?

That is a great addition especially if one is into WW2 Bomber's!!!!!
    Consider this one "LIKED"
    Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 05-22-2014 at 05:11 AM.

?

Thanks for the answer Douglas.. & I would "liked" it but until they return!!.. I will say thanks instead. Cheers Terry.