Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

The RAF Museum's Bf109

Article about: Hi Guys, some pics I took a few years ago. Beautifully restored aircraft. Cheers, Ade.

Default The RAF Museum's Bf109

Hi Guys, some pics I took a few years ago.

Beautifully restored aircraft.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The RAF Museum's Bf109   The RAF Museum's Bf109  

The RAF Museum's Bf109   The RAF Museum's Bf109  

The RAF Museum's Bf109   The RAF Museum's Bf109  

The RAF Museum's Bf109  

?

Default Re: The RAF Museum's Bf109

Nice pics,is that plane operational? Is this the same plane?
    Attached Images Attached Images The RAF Museum's Bf109 
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Hi, yes it is the same aircraft. It is (or was) air worthy. But it had an accident at Duxford some years ago which was mentioned on the forum a while back in some detail. I think Ned posted the details. So if it will fly again might be in some doubt.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Once again, very nice pictures. I got this picture from Duxford of a "crashed" 109.
    Oh, and I couldn't resist: The ME 109 in your picture I belive is a Merlin powered Spanish version (post war). Despite more than 35.000 buildt during the war, no ME 109 with the original Daimler engine is flying today! (to my knowledge, anyway)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The RAF Museum's Bf109  

Hello Allan,

No, it is an original Me 109G-2 Trop, Werk No. 10639. The HA-1112 Buchon has a pregnant guppy look to the bottom of the cowling. See the picture I posted for an example. Black 6 was indeed the only original flying example until it crashed when the decision was made to ground her.

About 20 years ago I think there were 13 original Me 109's known worldwide. That number has exploded since the wall came down and now there are over 50 in various states of restoration and display.

Cheers
    Gary

Quote by AllanT View Post
    Once again, very nice pictures. I got this picture from Duxford of a "crashed" 109.
    Oh, and I couldn't resist: The ME 109 in your picture I belive is a Merlin powered Spanish version (post war). Despite more than 35.000 buildt during the war, no ME 109 with the original Daimler engine is flying today! (to my knowledge, anyway)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The RAF Museum's Bf109  

The aircraft posted by Ade is an original Bf 109G with its original D-B engine, captured by Aussie troops in the western desert. It was returned to airworthy status in the late 80's-early 90's after well over 10 years of restoration work.

Unfortunatley, it force landed and turned over during a display at Duxford in '97. The aircraft was repaired to static condition only as the MOD who own the airframe, refused to allow it to have a C of A again. In hindsight, it would probably only flown another year before retirement anyway. It is now on display at Hendon.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Quote by Gary Cain View Post
    Hello Allan,

No, it is an original Me 109G-2 Trop, Werk No. 10639. The HA-1112 Buchon has a pregnant guppy look to the bottom of the cowling. See the picture I posted for an example. Black 6 was indeed the only original flying example until it crashed when the decision was made to ground her.

About 20 years ago I think there were 13 original Me 109's known worldwide. That number has exploded since the wall came down and now there are over 50 in various states of restoration and display.

Cheers
    Gary
    OMG! You are right! I got the two mixed up. Of course, just look at the exhaust. Silly me
    Thanks for correcting me and I glad to hear that more 109 are flying.

Hi Allan, here is a pic of the Bf109 at Duxford which I took. Superb exhibit, I love the original graffiti on the one wing which dates from when the aircraft was used as a fund raising effort during the war.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks for posting these pictures Ade, they really are beautiful aircraft.

Cheers
    Gary